Health issue and weight problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devonwoody":2acop9su said:
Last weekend I walked down to one of our local beauty spots and got into difficulties on the return, The hill was 1 in 4 in places and around 400 ft up.
A local man who lives on the beach came to my rescue and kindly drove me to my car at the top. (today I posted him my favourite box as a thank you)
The problem is weight, I reckon I have got to loose 8 kgs.

So surfed into this,

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advic ... weight.htm

what do you think?

DW - was this a journey that you regularly make or one that you've not done for some time? If the former then you should see a doctor. If the latter then what the other chaps have said.

Why do you say 8kg? Have you measured your BMI ...not that this is a good guide as it does not factor in how much muscle you have as opposed to fat. I went for one of those cheapie ones years back and they told me I was overweight. That's because I regularly went to the gym. 15% body fat.

I left school aged 15 and weighed 10&1/2 stone 40 years later I weigh the same but the opening post reminds me of a story of a late friend of mine who WAS overweight and went to the doctors complaining of breathlessness and chest pains.
Upon entering the Doctors room he observed the doctor making notes, after several minutes the doctor looked up and after introductions and questions, instructed my friend to pick up a chair and hold it out at arms length.
the Dr continued writing, after 2 minutes he asked my friend if he would like to put the chair down, with great relief my friend did so.
the Dr then went on to illustrate the purpose of the exercise in that my friends heart was carrying excess weight continuously and had no chance of "putting it down" my friend left the surgery WELL educated, sadly the damage had been done and he passed away a year later.

Rich.

That crazy Finn again, I'm just offering an opinion here based on my good experience, even it may sound too hard-core at first :roll:

Please consult your doctor before you start exercise, also good to have basic checkup of tests like blood pressure and small basic blood test set.

Rowing is one of the most complete exercise you can get (cardio/muscle/stretch), and yes you really should start it light, the level of exersise (torture :wink: ) you can freely select based on your starting level. The first session should be like 10minutes on very low load.

That was all a very good read, so geeing myself up for the physio visit.

Roger the last time I went to that beauty spot was years ago and I dont recall there was any problem on the return.

I can cope with a couple of hours walking provided it is on the flat, its those bloody hills that is getting difficult to deal with. :wink:

virtu":tg45p3ho said:
Rowing is one of the most complete exercise you can get (cardio/muscle/stretch), and yes you really should start it light, the level of exersise (torture :wink: ) ....

I'd gently dispute that. Very little increase in muscle bulk as compared to free weights, for example. True - it may tone up what you have. And is good cv - albeit incredibly boring to do. Step. Aerobics. Many of the Body Attack type classes are much more interesting IMO. Scenery is better, too :wink:

dw - if you really want to know how healthy you are vis a vis exercise then shell out for a private session and do the treadmill test ( after your pre-check medical naturally). They will wire you up to a heart monitor, blood pressure monitor, oxygen monitor and gradually increase the load monitoring you all the while. That way you'll know that you could, for example, start to increase your exercise level beyond that which you perhaps thought you'd be capable of (from a health perspective).

Then if you're feeling particularly masochistic, go and take the Max VO2 test. :twisted:

Digit":1odfvgea said:
Is it possible to improve your health in your seventies?

Now with a change in diet my health has improved, my weight reduced and my BP is 130 over 80!
I'm 68 by the way.

Roy.

That`s not old for a tree :D

RogerS":3a21q7vw said:
dw - if you really want to know how healthy you are vis a vis exercise then shell out for a private session and do the treadmill test ( after your pre-check medical naturally). They will wire you up to a heart monitor, blood pressure monitor, oxygen monitor and gradually increase the load monitoring you all the while. That way you'll know that you could, for example, start to increase your exercise level beyond that which you perhaps thought you'd be capable of (from a health perspective).

Then if you're feeling particularly masochistic, go and take the Max VO2 test. :twisted:

It is called a stress test over here and 3 out of 5 die a day or two afterwards.Yeah they put monitors on you but not after the test like when your at home.A friend of mine had that test at 9:00am in the morning,while going to a Dinner out that night he had a massive heart attack but the test showed he was in very good shape.No test like that for me,unless the world goes south,then I am first in... :D

Grinding One":1lijkybv said:
RogerS":1lijkybv said:

It is called a stress test over here and 3 out of 5 die a day or two afterwards.Yeah they put monitors on you but not after the test like when your at home.A friend of mine had that test at 9:00am in the morning,while going to a Dinner out that night he had a massive heart attack but the test showed he was in very good shape.No test like that for me,unless the world goes south,then I am first in... :D

You're sure it wasn't a result of seeing the bill ? :wink:

Back