Hawthorn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have been given some large pieces of Hawthorn by a neighbour I'm just wondering is it any good for turning before I pass it to my mum and dad for there log burner

Atb Matt

Hello Matt.
I can't comment on its suitability for turning but, it will be no good for anything if you leave in the round. You must convert it to prevent
it splitting or shaking as it dries. It will literaly rip its self apart.
Good luck.

Bryan.

MattF":3ts82yl4 said:
Hi all I have been given some large pieces of Hawthorn by a neighbour I'm just wondering is it any good for turning before I pass it to my mum and dad for there log burner

Atb Matt
Have a go. If no good then give it your mum and dad.

Hawthorn is a lovely wood for turning (one of my own favourites) - hard and close grained and often with astonishing figure and colours in the wood. It is difficult to dry without splitting, so as has been suggested split the logs into halves or quarters, seal the ends and leave to dry somewhere cool & dry - some pieces will probably be ok but expect to lose a fair few to splitting. Alternatively, you could turn it green.

I made the white pieces for a chess set from Hawthorne, excellent stuff.

Hi,

Good wood for chisel handles, mallet heads etc.

Used to be used for blocks on sailing ships.

Pete

If you want to turn bowls, turn them now, while the wood is wet. The irregular shape often found in hawthorn trees does make for some spectacular natural edge bowls, but the wood is prone to cracking and splitting, so make them as then as you dare.....

If you want to turn between spindles, try to dry it gently and be prepared for splits. Because the wood is very close grained, it makes great wood to try threading, as well.

Thank you for the further replies I have had a go at turning a vase today and have gone as thin as I dare then sealed it with super glue on the outside and base and put it on the shelf in the garage

Matt

I've used white glue to seal wood during drying, so as to slow down drying, but I've never used superglue. Doesn't that get quite expensive? Isn't the stuff so brittle that it cracks and opens up when the wood shrinks during drying? And for my last question: how to you get it on the wood? I use a brush to bring up white glue, but I don't know of any superglue packaging formats that even allow a brush in.

I put the super glue on with the vase with it turning putting it on with a piece of paper towel .
I will try the white glue I have got some in the garage.

Matt

Back