Has Mr Grimsdale been banned ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say Dom we are not allowed to talk about it :lol: Rule 5.7 sub section A1.5876 .
Andy i agree with you , if someone questioned my craftmanship without foundation i would wipe the floor with them . However if they have seen it then they may have a valid point :shock: :lol:

This is all getting a bit like that bird that flies around in ever-decreasing circles and eventually disappears.

Can't we draw a line under all this and start again....... :roll:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I understand completely, Andy.

I think that's because when I started making saws there were two people who seemed to go out of their way to cause problems. One I mostly ignored, though his logic was poor (historical and business issues) and I engaged him a couple times.

The other was caustic. Still is. He's now a member here and still is putting out dribble in the form of expertise from time to time. I chalk that up to ignorance and arogance. Because it often contained slights to slams on my character I fought back a lot. It was counter-productive in the sense it used up a lot of mental energy on my part. So I usually avoid his posts except where I can make something more clear to the OP or other readers.

I did take the caustic comments personal, though. Still do. I choose not to respond in kind now. I don't think that is a mark of maturity on my part as a couple people wrote to me saying--in a congratulatory way. Instead I think I am just tired of the fight.

I think that there are always going to be people who disagree with published articles and magazines in particular. Whether it is the ads themselves, means of advertising, or what have you. How they react and respond on a public forum is up to the mods to deal with. I am only responsible for myself, not others' perceptions of me or what I do in my life. It isn't easy, I fail and respond sometimes out of character. For that I need to deal with--but if in poor enough taste in a public forum, so too the mods may have to. For that, when it happens (and it has even here), I am sorry to them and the membership for causing the problems that they in turn have to deal with.

You have my respect for what it is you do professionally, as does each person here--even Jake. As well, each person who participates on the forum has respect from me on several levels. Though I don't post much in the forums here concerning actual woodwork projects anymore, I am amazed at what the members are up to. There is work here which rivals any professional maker.

Take care, Mike

I can completely understand Andys reaction to what was said about him. I have been on the receiving end of other members making you question your own experience and making you have to justify your comments and its not nice. i dont make many posts but i read most of them and give my advice when i feel its needed and suitable, not for the sake of it. When i do give advice, as a pro with experience, having to explain yourself and have people being plain rude about your ideas or suggestions makes you wonder why you bother at all.

There seems to be a small click of people on this forum who dont seem happy just to take advice and make suggestions, but feel the need to question everything and so alienate other posters. There doesn't seem to be many posts that dont end up diverting away from the original subject or ending up with some kind of bickering recently, normally by the same people over and over. The fact that all these members are being banned recently in my view shows a demise of what used to be a very good forum for advice and seeing peoples projects. I look at the projects forum everyday and see the same people posting work, very good as it is and always nice to see, there isn't much of it. Perhaps if a few of these regular stirrers spent a bit more time in the workshop making items for us all to see there woulndt be so much hassle in this forum.

It may detract from my post to you or others. I don't know.

Point is I do appreciate much of what Jacob (which is who I meant, but wrote 'Jake') has to say, as well as Appricotripper's (Jake) posts.

It is that I sometimes do not appreciate the way in which it is said.

Take care, Mike

Oh , i stopped posting projects/work because i thought people where bored of the trade stuff .

Jason,
I for one have never tired of your stuff - it seems very varied to me and with some interesting wrinkles or rather challenges that you seem to take in your stride.

Hi Jason

JFC":2q50k28u said:
Oh , i stopped posting projects/work because i thought people where bored of the trade stuff .

I really enjoy looking at all of your work and I particularly liked the "window making" thread, which received a mere 3,266 views.

Cheers,
Neil

JFC":1l1up0gg said:

Not at all - I can quite happily read posts about things I can only dream of being able to make :D
Pictures are always good,and a lot can be learnt from them.

I also enjoy intelligent debate,and different points of view and friendly banter - so sincerely hope that Jacob and Senior return to the forum when they have served their pennance.

Andrew

Hi Neil , welcome to the forum .
I'm sorry i can't help you right now but i'm sure someone will be along soon to finish the thread for me :lol:
Sorry i couldn't resist :lol:
On a serious note i do intend on finishing that thread very soon !

Other forums have folded because of similar issues, if you all want that carry on, if not stop it. My advice for what it is worth is we should all reset to zero.

Hi Jason

JFC":1k8hot8m said:
Hi Neil , welcome to the forum .
I'm sorry i can't help you right now but i'm sure someone will be along soon to finish the thread for me

As a mod one of the first things that I do is to welcome new members to the forum. But, yes you're right, I will also quite often say that "I'm sorry that I can't help but I'm sure that someone will be along soon". I do this to give the new member a warm feeling, despite emphasising my lack of woodworking skills and knowledge.

I know that I have very limited woodworking skills but I keep trying to learn. It is why I have retained the Newbie tag and also why I enjoy threads such as yours on "window making".

Cheers,
Neil

C'mon i was pulling your leg . Lets have a bit of banter eh mate .

I thought the thread started by Mr.Grimm reviewing Krenov's book was civil enough, at least where I
had left of reading it. He was even coming around a bit to respecting James. That aside, this is a
great forum for a newbie like myself to see the work of professionals as well as amateurs. Hopefully
this forum will prosper in the spirit of politeness and civility that British folk are famous for. Soccer
hooligans being the exception. :lol:

JFC":2fy3g2wr said:
Jason, as I have mentioned to you before, I also derive inspiration and enjoyment from seeing 'the trade stuff' :)

Dave

Latest posts

Back