Has anyone tried/have the Stanley RB5 Block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one that was in a toolbox of assorted tools that I got at a flea market. I don't get on with it at all and regard it as junk. To be fair though it does look well-used so perhaps the previous owner was more effective with it than I am.

Made after Stanley had lost their edge; sorry about the pun. Better to choose a 9 1/2 for quality.
I've got lots of planes, Stanley, Record, Lie Nielsen. Just wondered about how effective it is to have something with a ready to go blade rather than stopping to hone something.

I wouldn't bother either. might be god for balsa wood though!. if memory servesme, they sold two types of blades, totally straight and cambered, but they are scarcer than hen's teeth

Eric

Bought a Stanley block plane, and found it interesting that the sole was unevenly concave, and the plane generally of very modest quality. Have bought a chisel plane, best Chinese, no kiddin'! Finish is tops, and it cost about the same as the crappy Stanley. luban chisel plane - Buy luban chisel plane with free shipping on AliExpress
Luban make planes and tools that are sensible alternatives to Veritas and Lie-Nielsen, because there is no brand premium. Also, so far as I know, Luban manufacture the Rider brand tools too. Might be rebranded to confuse the seppos?
Did also buy a Veritas Miniture block plane, originally from curiosity, but the little gem has been handy on occasions. Veritas Tools - Specialty Planes - Miniature Block Plane

Latest posts

Back