Harrogate Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem62

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
spent a nice day at Harrogate today,not too much wallet damage but that may change on sunday.
Met CHJ today on the chestnut stand and would like to say a big thanks for the tips and advice he gave me and other fellow watchers,a really top man.
The show was busy as always but still enough room to watch demo,s and ask questions with C Tribe ,Phil Greenwood,Tony wilson.

regards david

davem62":3mktf70l said:
Hi,
spent a nice day at Harrogate today,not too much wallet damage but that may change on sunday.
Met CHJ today on the chestnut stand and would like to say a big thanks for the tips and advice he gave me and other fellow watchers,a really top man.
The show was busy as always but still enough room to watch demo,s and ask questions with C Tribe ,Phil Greenwood,Tony wilson.

regards david

Come along and say hello if you get chance on Sunday David, it should be a little quieter from past experience.

Cheers Peter

I also had a nice day at the show seemed to be more variety this year better balanced some how, wish they would have another in say April/May I'm sure it would be well attended. Most of the exhibitors seemed to be taking plenty of money so we'd all be happy!

smoggy49":3ujm0ibl said:
I also had a nice day at the show seemed to be more variety this year better balanced some how, wish they would have another in say April/May I'm sure it would be well attended. Most of the exhibitors seemed to be taking plenty of money so we'd all be happy!

How about the Midlands show in late March? We had a great show this year so have signed up again for the next one.

http://www.nelton.co.uk/midlands-woodwo ... -show.html

Cheers Peter

I was there today [Friday] too, seemed better than before to me also.
I agree with davem62 [sorry I missed you] it was a treat meeting Chas, great bloke, very helpfull and friendly, too good a salesman though!
Never seen so many carving gouges, used starting at £5.00! and the biggest lump of Lime I've seen as well, it's in my kitchen now!

Good show. I really enjoyed it. It's hard on the legs though.
I had a good chat on the Festool stand, and with Peter Sefton and Chris Tribe and met Chas and Andrew from the Forum.
I bought a pair of safety reading glasses and some cheapo spring clamps, a cheapo rafter square and a guide bush for my router.

The Workwear man was there, but didn't have any sweatshirts left. Pity, I wanted a couple. I have one and it is the best quality you could ask for. Unfortunately I was wearing it when cleaning the bathroom once, and the spray I was using contained bleach, so instead of being entirely navy blue, it is a muddy red colour at the front. My belly is big enough without accentuating it with a big red stripe.

I was also hoping to get a diamond file. I had one that grew legs. It had three different plates that were held on magnetically. Different grits. Excellent tool, and I was hoping to replace it.

This the beast:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chef-s-Choice ... e/27437504

but
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chefs-Choice- ... 1176554584

I'm sure I didn't pay anything like that price. Mind you, it was a long time ago and I had more disposable income then, so perhaps it was expensive then and I didn't notice it.

So all in all it was a very nice day out. Some stunning gorillas-in-the-mist scenery on the way home, too.

Thanks for driving, Neil.
S

Great to see you guys today.
Had a long chat with Chas, Doug, Steve and Hickorystick. Managed to speak to Chris tribe, newbie Neil and a fair few more sorry If I can't remember every bodies names it was a very busy day!
I also had a chance to speak to the Help 4 Heroes guys on the stand next to me, did any one go to the men in sheds meeting?

I really enjoyed the show, I forget how many folks I've met over the years until I go to a show like this & it's a great chance to catch up. Also thanks to Modernist for driving & MrEd & Jacob for good company which made the long journey fly by.

It was good to meet Peter again, I thought the layout of the stall look excellent & very tempting though I managed to contain myself this time to just some Veritas honing compound & industrial scary sharp abrasive sheets.

I'm already looking forward to the midlands show at Newark :shock:

I had an excellent day at the show and it was great to see it so busy. It was also good to meet up with Chas, Andrew(apreston), Peter Sefton, Chris Tribe and Andy King.

Thank you Chris for the excellent gift, it will be put to good use. It was kind of Chris, as they were free to UKW members.

After all of the comments on here about the Clifton 5 1/2 I had to give one a go and, boy, was I impressed. It really was excellent on the wider boards, leaving a silky finish.

Thanks,
Neil

Hi

Great to meet UK workshop members, including Steve, Neil and Chas. Also chatted with Mr Sefton. Gave away 250 of my magnetic clamping heads met lots of ex students made lots of new contacts.

A bit knackered now!

Chris

Steve Maskery":36viwype said:
but
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chefs-Choice- ... 1176554584

I'm sure I didn't pay anything like that price. Mind you, it was a long time ago and I had more disposable income then, so perhaps it was expensive then and I didn't notice it........
S
I know the company doesn't have much of a reputation but I bought one of these a while ago and it's very good.
Only two grades but does me fine and at only £6.50 posted can't go wrong

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverlin...ies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item1e957004f5

Great day yesterday and very busy.
Thanks to Peter Sefton for the advice on the planes. I'll see you at the the Newark show and purchase!
Your opinions on the Hammer N4400 bandsaw were very damaging to my wallet as I went back to the Felder stand and bought one, its a peachy machine !
I then went to the Festool stand and spent ages with the guys there and after much deliberation took the plunge and am now the proud owner of a Kapex, a TS55 tracksaw kit, a 1400 Router and the extractor ! Phew, that's me skint for a while. It was all planned though and wasn't impulse purchases. I have spent many hours researching the choices so yesterday was really about handling the hardware and making sure I was happy with my decisions.
Will just need to put the finishing touches to my workshop and I'll be able to plug them in!
Was great to meet some of the other forum members too, everyone is just so helpful. :)

Was there on Friday and had a most enjoyable day,my wallet is somewhat lighter than i would like but sometimes temptation gets the better of me :oops: :twisted:

A decent show for once, and very well attended the two days I spent there, thanks to those members who took the trouble to make contact, even amazed myself that I was sociable enough to make contact with a few other members around and about the show.
Got a chance to pick up one or two bits and pieces that saved on postage, a saving that covered all of my petrol to and from the showground on one day if nothing else.
Disappointed at a couple of the big names and their lack of equipment samples, well to be honest Axy. being biggest disappointment.
Meant that a 80% certainty is still just that until I can justify a couple of hundred mile round trip minimum to see stuff in the flesh.

Well worth the long trip for me though, attending the show at such a distance formed the catalyst to see more of Harrogate and York whilst in the area.
Although the old legs took a pounding.

Back