hardwood prices per cubic ft.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary M

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
called into a tree surgeon today who i just found out cuts and sells all sorts of kiln dried timber (native to N Ireland and imported)
what a gold mine !!!

anyway i just thought id ask what you though of a few of his prices in comparison to mainland prices or further afield

1" stock per cubic ft / 2" stock per cubic ft
american black walnut--£36 / £50ish(he wasn't sure)
native ash--£26 / £38 - £40
native elm--£32 / £40- £50 depending on grade
native pippy oak (beautiful) £28/ £40 - £45
french oak £28 / £40 -£45

Cheers.

Looks about par, but if it's kiln dried IMHO I'd stay away from it. If it's local stuff better air dried than kilned, and air dried is much cheaper than kilned and far better to use - Rob

Is it Clark Cunningham? I have used his timber for a good while now and it's miles better to work than any of the imported American stuff from the local importers. I have used the French oak, elm and sycamore and have been able to resaw most without problems. (I always do a fork test before hand). Most of his native stock is air dried first and then put in a low temp kiln to bring it down to about 9 - 10% MC.
He will go out of his way to get you special boards etc and is extremely helpful even if you are only buying small quantities. Also with a furniture shop he can process the wood as far as you require, although I just buy waney edge. His price may sound slightly more expensive than the Belfast guys but he is generous with his measuring out, especially on native stuff.
I would certainly recommend anyone in N.Ireland to give him a try as I have not looked back.

Philip

Seconded. Also, try McGregor Hardwoods at the shipyard. Their cherry is particularly nice. Corry's up the Springfield Road -if they are still there - used to be a slight lottery, depending on who was your yardman....

Rob why is air dried far better to use ? forgive my ignorance

PJ it is Clark Cunningham, very pleasant and helpful, and loads of timber !!

SammieQ i normally use Mcgregors and have never had any problems with their stuff, they will normally do carpenters rates when you ask,( a couple of Quid off ).

where abouts in the country are you guys ?

Hi,
Hardwood costs from my local sawmill, airdried for 2 years. Typically 1.5 inch thick, 6 to 15 inch wide and upto 15ft long. £23 per cube foot for oak, beech, ash,etc. all native hardwoods.

Kiln dried prices are much more with oak at about £33 to 40 per cube,

regards

alan

Gary M":1si1qioj said:
Rob why is air dried far better to use ? forgive my ignorance

I'm not an expert by any means but I believe that air dried will have taken longer to get down to 15% and the internal moisture content will be more equalised.

Quote from Joyce, Techniques of Furniture Making, pg12
'... any further drying time will make no difference beyond distributing the remaining moisture more evenly, and helping to equalize the built-in strains'

also (pg39)

'... and while a 25mm board of English Oak which has been seasoned for 5 years might show little intrinsic difference from one which has been dried for one year only, nevertheless it will be more mature and tend to be milder mannered and more stable'.

I reckon the guy above who mentioned this is speaking from personnal experience having worked with different woods.

Joyce reckons air dried timber goes as low as 15% in very dry weather, 12% in exceptional heatwaves... kilns must be used to reduce any lower... i.e 8% - 10%

He also reckons that for some critical work, i.e some parts of grand pianos.. the timber should be as low as 6% MC..

Cheers
Joe

Latest posts

Back