Hardwood kitchen worktop poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would fit another hardwood kitchen worktop

• Definitely yes - water damage is not a problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possibly - although continually worrying about wet is a nuisance

• Most likely not - I got fed up with all that wiping down

• Never again - water stains/damage was a nightmare

• Total voters

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
There's quite a bit of negative comments about hardwood kitchen worktops - mainly in regard to water damage and its prevention.

So I thought I'd run a poll aimed at those of you who live with/have fitted hardwood worktops and whether or not you'd fit one again.

Any comments very welcome.

I fitted solid oak tops in our kitchen with a Belfast sink. I routed the draining board and used an oil finish. It looked stunning for the first 6 months or so and still does apart from the draining board area. Its a nightmare. Maybe in part due to the oak. But the constant water in that area is hard on the finish. I have to keep going over and re-finishing it every few months.

So maybe I would fit one again, but maybe not in oak and I don't think I would ever use it as a draining board again, although I do think they look great. (to start with)

I've lived with a beech one in rented accomodation ages ago. It was OK, it had a lay-on sink so not too affected by sitting water.

I don't think I would use anything other than teak or iroko or the like if I was installing one, and I'd still avoid it around sink areas if I could.

I think they look amazing - I put them in in my parents place a few years ago in beech, but they are a nightmare to maintain - both due to water damage around the sink area (FWIW Milton fluid does a pretty good job of cleaning the water stains out!) and the fact that near the cooker fat splashs mark them.

Would I put them in my kitchen? I don't know, I'm in the process of buying a house which will need a new kitchen, and I am toying woth the idea, but neither myself nor SWMBO are fastidious enough about cleaning to keep it in good condition I feel. Having said that, I can absolutly guarentee that I would not tile a worktop again, the grout get's filthy very quickly.

Les

I have previously commented negatively about hardwood worktops - and still stand by those comments.

However, its also fair to say that there probably isn't anything in that sort of price bracket that looks as nice IMO. It also isn't fair to compare hardwood tops with granite or indeed many of the composites because of the enormous cost difference.

Cheers

Tim

tim":10ocjgdx said:
I have previously commented negatively about hardwood worktops - and still stand by those comments.

Were they beech (which seems to me to fundamentally unsuited to the task) or teak/iroko etc?

Jake,

They were beech but I have also seen oak and walnut used as well which I think are also totally unsuitable.

Cheers

Tim

I agree, you only find teak or iroko used for lab tops, not oak or beech or walnut. I think that is a pretty good indicator.

Ok,

Here is my lowdown on why it these worktops do not work

we use them in our florist shops, and have now upgraded all of them to some nice galaxy starnight granite

indeed water is not the problem, but the scratches, and the dearth and the knocking on the edges, and the sealing etc etc etc etc

Every other weekend I had to repair, clean, sand and seal these worktops

Yes yes yes they do look nice but no they are not practical

it is the same with those tiled worktops, you constantly have to clean the grout lines and seal them

but that is my opinion

McLuma

Well not to put too fine a point on it I've fitted quite a few wooden tops and there are some definite "avoid like the plague" ones. Don't ever fit oak or walnut. People invariably leave wet steel cutlery, Brillo pads, cast iron pans, etc on them and that is the killer - you get 'orrible black marks which are the devil's own to get rid of. Do put a breadboard end on the runs if they are near to an Aga. Do supply the cook with a beech or sycamore chopping board and tell them why they should use it, and of the need to wipe all spills immediately, not in 4 hours time after the dinner party is over. If the kitchen doesn't have a dishwasher, then try to avoid fitting a wooden top full stop. Always put in drip grooves around the Belfast on the underside of the top and try to avoid those stupid high "school chemistry lab" taps which always splash water onto the tops. Rout-out a falling drainer that actually gets rid of the water - I cut my own tapered jigs to do this. And always seal the timber with something (I use a PU sealant) before oiling thoroughly (although teak and iroko don't the sealant, just the oiling). Then providing the customer understands that the darned thing needs regular oiling, or that they have to pay you to come back every 4 to 6 months to do it for them, that top should last for years....... Problem is that most people are either lazy or ignorant of the maintainance issues and thus treat solid wood worktops like laminate with subsequent disillusionment (they do the same with solid surface tops like Corian, with a similar outcome). When I was a kid we lived in a house with a pair sycamore drainers and a big double Belfast in the middle. Those tops were never oiled, just scrubbed and dried and they just lasted and lasted. But no-one could ever say they looked good.

McLuma, I just think that wood tops in a florists are asking for trouble because of the constant wet and the beg steel containers being c=draffed over them. My recollection is that florists' traditionally had either stone tops (I recall granite from my childhood) and/or zinc sheet. I'd guess that was for practical reasons rather than aesthetics.

And just for good measure, my favourite timbers for worktops are iroko and teak - they withstand abuse so much better - but I'd still run a mile if asked to put one of them into a commercial environment where laminate and solid surface are just so much better suited that either solid wood or granite.

Scrit

Back