Hanging Tool Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a quick/small project I thought I would start while i'm waiting for my p/t to arrive so that I can continue with the greenhouse project.

I'm getting really sick and tired of not having a decent storage solution for my tools. Currently they are in a mix of tool-bag, drawers, filing cabinet, boxes etc.. and it's starting to really hack me off! It takes longer to locate a tool and clear the workspace than it does to actually do the work.

So, i've decided to knock up a copy of Jim Tolpins cabinet as featured in the wonderful book 'The Toolbox'.

I've used some crappy 15mm ply that I had laying around, and connected the boards together with pocket screws. I would have prefered to use biscuits but I don't have a biscuit jointer, so the kreg got a dusting down and a chance to earn it's keep.

Simple project really, no skill involved, nothing special wood or joint wise, and this thread is really only to serve as a purpose for me getting into the routine of taking photo's and writing up the project and also maybe help someone who wants also to build a very basic and quick tool cabinet.

So, onto the photo's:

This is the material used: (this happens to the back)
427095055_1ab43a7578.jpg

All the panels were cut with a circular saw/rail guide on my home-made CS/Glueup table.

This is a scrap piece to determine the correct length of collect on the kreg drill-bit:
427094994_aef7591987.jpg

All panels cut to size, pocket holes drilled, and basic carcass glued and screwed together:
427094936_7bbac9362d.jpg

Draw divider going in: (The gap underneath will house three rows of small draws for layout and marking equipment, along with drill and router bits.
427095136_9a4d7efb95.jpg

Finished basic carcass:
427095294_e1b13af03f.jpg

So, not a bad start, it's taken about an hour so far, I need to get hold of some more ply to make the door fronts, the doors will be 3" thick and they'll hold more layout/marking tools, chisels, scewdrivers and maybe some mallets.

I just need to scrape the glue off, give it a sand over, I might paint it so its less ugly, and then make and fit some drawers, it should do me for a year or two until I get round to making a really nice smart hardwood one.

I'm thinking of selling my Kreg2000 kit if anyone is interested, or swap for a half-decent biscuit jointer.

Going well :D
Good storage space is invaluable - as you say,it wastes time not being able to find what you want.

All you need to do now is finish cladding the workshop walls,and you'll be able to hang it up as well.. :wink:

Andrew

ByronBlack":2xtrf0kl said:
and also maybe help someone who wants also to build a very basic and quick tool cabinet.

I need to start somewhere so this might just be the place for me. Can't wait to see if it will be to my liking at the finish :D

Fizzy":1g05oqsi said:
ByronBlack":1g05oqsi said:
and also maybe help someone who wants also to build a very basic and quick tool cabinet.

I need to start somewhere so this might just be the place for me. Can't wait to see if it will be to my liking at the finish :D

Me too. I cannot stand looking for my tools in old tool bags and various drawers - a basic and quick tool cabinet sounds just right

Tony

as paul says 'looking good'
thats something i need to make so might be pinchimg the idea :roll:
all mine are on shelves at the moment and getting harder and harder to find through the dust :?

On the subject of tool holders, I went to an upholsterers today to buy some webbing for our dining room chairs. He had lengths of elasticated webbing stapled in loops to the plywood walls, which held all his tools very securely. Not pretty but quick to do, could be a good interim solution.

OK, my tool cabinet is finished, spent a couple of hours yesterday and today making the door, and making the fixings for the various tools. This whole project was made from scrap and didn't cost a penny, it's rough as a badgers bottom and looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, but it does what I want it to do - get me organised! I can now use this as a prototype for a more fancy, and better engineered hardwood version later in the year.

The photo's:

The door complete and hinges going on:

435352311_f37d1e4ad8.jpg

Sanding disk used to create a clearance to account for sag.
435351862_c0a7ecb854.jpg

Door hinges complete - seems to work quite well.
435352459_02a403feb6.jpg

Rough doodle for placement of tools:
435352537_5aec17a94b.jpg

The previous tool storage 'solution' :
435352268_86d258257a.jpg

Need to find a location for the majority of this lot:
435352797_2b42008021.jpg

Cabinet laid on the ground for me to test the location of the tools:
435352903_6033e67ffb.jpg

And the door side:
435352548_18ecaba87f.jpg

Cabinet fixed with french cleat and lower support, tools now going in:
435353101_bfa61f4dc4.jpg

More tools:
435352694_0f334c7238.jpg

Tool storage complete, I need to make some drawers for all the smaller stuff which will go in the gap below, the planes will then be upright in the cabinet supported by blocks and magnets:
435366022_877450ef08.jpg

Here it is, in all it's recycled glorious splender (the door is actually form the packing crate el-rusto the P/T arrived in).
435353331_8c8d2f3bce.jpg

El-rusto, all cleaned and ready to make chippings! Not sure why I added this photo, just though it'd be nice to get it into the ether:
435352906_d6ddf3d593.jpg

Ok, thats pretty much it, i'll eventually make some drawers to hold router and rill bits, some marking out tools etc.. and I might sand and paint it, but I quite like its 'urban' feel.

This project so far has cost me no english pounds, and took about 5 hours or so, and all I used were the festool, kreg kit, ryoba and some screws, easy peasy.

Byron you are being too modest. Your brief to yourself was a quick/small project to ease the burden of finding tools etc. Whilst it might look a little rough (not seen a badgers bottom so cannot compare :) ) at the moment due to the scrap timber used - as you say you can paint it if you feel the urge. Looking at ideas myself for tool storage so your topic has been useful.

Hope you are going to post more about your P/T experience now that its all cleaned up and looking good.

Cheers :D
Tony

Byron, I agree with Tony your being too modest. You built a tool cabinet out of nothing, for nothing, and had the guts to do a work in progress. Like Tony said a drop of paint and a few drawers and I bet it will look a million dollars.

Nice one.

Mike

Like already said - excellent job :D "does exactly what it says on the tin"!

Andrew (who's seen a few badgers,but not examined the rear end in detail :lol: )

Great inspiration, i have all my tools in some drawers and on the walls on nails and i am always knocking them. I have been looking at everybody elses and they are such works of art (not that yours isn't) i really can't justify the time to make one. The fine effort you have achieved might get me to spurred into action.
Two questions: Why are you selling the pocket hole jig, looks like it has done stirling service? I had thought about getting one.
How is the planer thicknesser? i have the jointer and i have been most happy. The service i got was good and the goods were great. (no connection to Lyndhurst) just wondered when the red mist has cleared if it has been a good purchase for £400 ish.
Sorry to be nosy
Owen

Hi all,

thanks for the kind comments, hopefully i'll eventually have some 'fine' woodworking projects to post instead of rough and ready agricultural stuff.

Owen, the reason why i'm looking to sell the Kreg System is because i've barely used it, maybe a couple of projects. Most of the time it's stayed in its box. I could re-invest the money into a biscuit jointer which I would use more as i'll be making a lot of panels this year.

I would say that for £400 the P/T is a good purchase despite having to clean it and all the hassle I had to deal with the delivery, I still think that the service from Lyndhurst is total rubbish, I tried to speak to someone again today about sending me out a power lead which wasn't shipped with the machine, and again no-one bothering to answer the phone, reply to an email or respond to a voice message, which means it's nearly 2 weeks since I got the thing and have yet still to put a bit of wood through it.

BB - nice tool, storage, does the job. Ought to think about something similar for my Tool Wall...(no, not the Cool Wall :D ) as I'm running out of space. Interested to see how the P/T performs 'cos at some point I'd like the get the Axminster version of the same machine, does it have a central column on the thicknessing table or 4 little threads, one at each corner (like my Kity)? - Rob

HI Rob

The thicknessing table has a central column to raise and lower it. I've still yet to try and get it running, Lyndhurst refuse to answer my calls or respond to my voice messages - b*****ds!

Back