Handscrew Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCB

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a supplier of Handscrew Clamps in the United Kingdom

I'm thinking of those big wooden clamps of a similar design to toolmaker's clamps - but much bigger.

Or anywhere with foolproof instruction for making them oneself - but preferably NOT a film clip (since they won't run on this old computer)

I know that they are available in the Untied States and very economically too (other than the expensive brands) - so why NOT in the United Kingdom?

With seasonal greetings and my very best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful, Successful, Prosperous and Stress-free New Year and thanks in anticipation for your help.

MC

Hi MC,

I recently asked the same question and fortunately a member had a couple that he didn't want and I managed to get them. Very usefu they are too for hlding small pieces when cutting on the bandsaw. Axminter used to sell them buit not an longer they do have a wooden clamp that is from Holland I believe, but it is not as thick and chunky as the older Johanson hand screw type.

You may find something if you google hnd screw clamps.

Alex

marcros":zsarv5pi said:
http://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/Pinnacle-8-Handscrew-Clamp

or

https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woodwor ... epth-55-mm

any good? dictum are not in the uk, but i have had great service in the past, and may almost be as quick as a uk supplier.

Dictum looked very good until I checked on the cost of shipping and found it was around double the cost of the clamps

What a pity that they don't have a shop in the United Kingdom

Very many thanks

MC

MCB":322bnib9 said:
marcros":322bnib9 said:

or

any good? dictum are not in the uk, but i have had great service in the past, and may almost be as quick as a uk supplier.

Dictum looked very good until I checked on the cost of shipping and found it was around double the cost of the clamps

Very many thanks

MC

EUR10 isn't that bad- £7.50 or thereabouts. express gets a bit pricey.

marcros":297ss6vk said:
MCB":297ss6vk said:
marcros":297ss6vk said:

or

Very many thanks

MC

EUR10 isn't that bad- £7.50 or thereabouts. express gets a bit pricey.

But the clamps are only 5.70 EUR

That's ~ double in my book!

With best wishes and thanks again.

MCB

undergroundhunter":364d8rvj said:
I think the problem with making them is that part of the thread is left handed so would mean getting special taps and dies.

matt

Toolmaker's Clamps use a simple single right-hand thread - I've restored some that were made by my late father before WWII

I don't see why these could NOT be made the same way.

The only difficult bit would be getting the barrel nuts - they may have to be made by oneself (unless somebody reading this knows better)

MCB

MCB":1ddti00z said:
But the clamps are only 5.70 EUR

That's ~ double in my book!

With best wishes and thanks again.

MCB

i was trying to find something that i needed, to split the postage, but i am struggling. sorry.

i wouldn't mind some of those clamps, but by the time we have split the postage and then got them to me, any saving is gone.

MCB":3si6ptl3 said:
undergroundhunter":3si6ptl3 said:
I think the problem with making them is that part of the thread is left handed so would mean getting special taps and dies.

matt

Toolmaker's Clamps use a simple single right-hand thread - I've restored some that were made by my late father before WWII

The only difficult bit would be getting the barrel nuts - they may have to be made by oneself (unless somebody reading this knows better)

MCB

There's a Bob Wearing plan for small, light cramps just like that, he intended them for gluing on drawer slips without the weight of the cramp deforming the drawer, and that's exactly what I used to use them for...before Bessey made Kliklamps! If you rummage through his books you'll find the plan and it just needs some threaded rod and regular nuts plus a few off-cuts of Beech or Maple.

custard":1cy1moqd said:
MCB":1cy1moqd said:
undergroundhunter":1cy1moqd said:

matt

MCB

There's a Bob Wearing plan for small, light cramps just like that, he intended them for gluing on drawer slips without the weight of the cramp deforming the drawer, and that's exactly what I used to use them for...before Bessey made Kliklamps! If you rummage through his books you'll find the plan and it just needs some threaded rod and regular nuts plus a few off-cuts of Beech or Maple.

I agree they can be made that way but the read ones had one left and one right for rapid and easy adjustment, I looked into making some earlier this year, in the end I never got round to it.

custard":3e7qr1ev said:
MCB":3e7qr1ev said:
undergroundhunter":3e7qr1ev said:

matt

MCB

Bob Wearing style clamps in use here alongside some nasty plastic spring clamps:

IMG_4016_zpswe9tcey4.jpg

Cheap, easy and useful.

Try Drews Ironmongers in Reading, last time I was in they had several Stanley Bailey branded ones, never seen them anywhere else.

I've looked into making a set of these, and realised making the barrel nuts would be more cost effective than buying as the longer ones with larger thread (m6. m8) get quite pricey if the cost of the Dictum ones are putting you off, plus you can make them with a wider throw as I think 180mm could be a bit small for some uses.

I've looked into making a set of these, and realised making the barrel nuts would be more cost effective than buying as the longer ones with larger thread (m6. m8) get quite pricey if the cost of the Dictum ones are putting you off, plus you can make them with a wider throw as I think 180mm could be a bit small for some uses.

edit: having just looked again here's a supplier than seems extremel;y reasonable compared to previous prices I've seen. :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-x-12-x...421729?hash=item4179fbd621:g:q-4AAOxySoJTS~4R

Back