Handedness of circular saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Bosch cordless circular saw. When I picked it up, it took a few moments (after a vague feeling of 'there's summat wrong with this), for the realisation that the blade was on the 'wrong' side of the motor/handle to dawn on me :oops: . At first I thought I'd blundered and bought a machine intended for left-handers, but a look on the Screwfix website revealed that all the cordless machines they list are like this (ie with the blade to the left of the handle) whilst all corded machines are 'right handed''. Anyone know why this is so? Are there actually any advantages for right-handers in having it this way round? At the moment I'm finding it awkward, being used to a right-handed corded machine.
Robin

I have a corded circ saw and a battery one and have never noticed this till I read your post dont know the reason for it they both cut wood :p

I asked a similar question a while back, but noone seemed to kow the answer. DeWalt 18v models with the same model number seem to be available "either handed", but like yourself, the ones with the blade on the left really don't feel... er... right.

I have wondered exactly the same thing too, I really can't get used to using one of the cordless ones. Find it much harder to cut straight.
The advantage I can think of is being able to see the blade and cut line more clearly.

The Festool track saws are left-handed to me. Can't use it right handed; (that is with the saw on my right side) without stretching over the work, or pulling the saw towards me; which ain't very practical! There must be a reason, but I never botheresd to sit down and figure out why! Maybe I am developing into an ambidextrous woodworker? :D

Cheers...

fraxinus":1z1z7yrw said:
The advantage I can think of is being able to see the blade and cut line more clearly.

That is what i have always assumed the reason is. Cordless ones are marketed more for little trimming jobs, quite often used one handed, as a right hander, it would be easier to follow a pencil line with the blade its self rather than a little notch on the base plate.

True... But then the Festtool saw is so accurate, I never bother to look. I have enough problems keeping a firm grip on the handle. Which makes me wonder, how much longer can I go on woodworking?

Hmmm. I see there is a possible cure for Arthur Righteous. I bet I miss the chance! :lol:

Incidentally, don't you fellas bother to use a straight edge or large square when using a circular saw?
I ask, because I had a friend some years ago, who lost a thumb to a circular saw, when it kicked back, because of too much twist. He wasn't using a guide. :(

Thanks for all your replies - seems it's a bit of a mystery. Having tried various contortions holding the trigger handle in my right hand I've found it surprisingly easy just to give in use the machine left-handed - I prefer to have blade on the side away from my body, apart from the awkwardness of trying to use it right handed.
I have belatedly noticed that the saw has a slot in the base casting presumably for use with a track, in which case it might make sense - for me anyway it would seem natural to push the saw right-to -left. I think!
Thanks again, Robin

Back