Hand cut mortise advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanetsBears

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to be able to cut mortise joints in the house rather than have to brave the cold of my workshop in the winter. After all, cutting them doesn't create too much mess, so surely SWMBO can't complain too much, can she? :|

The question is, what do you think would be the minimum requirement for some sort of bench to hold the work piece? I have a room I could easily stick a 'workmate' type bench in, but would it be solid enough to be cutting mortises on or would I need something a bit more hefty?

Chris

Not much mess, but a huge amount of noise...dull thuds that vibrate throughout the house. For the sake of domestic harmony best not to mortice during Poldark!

Morticing is high impact; the support for the workpiece needs to be either properly heavy (technically "massive"), rigid, or ideally both.

BugBear

Biliphuster":3oeica8o said:
Depending on what you are morticing, a knee high saw bench can be perfect. Put the piece down on the bench, straddle it and mortice away, awkward pieces can be clamped down. Of course a saw bench is a useful thing to have anyway.

There is even historical precedent
https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/sto ... enches+Etc.

I agree, do take care though, this time last year i put a 3/4" chisel in my right thigh when I slipped morticing my bench legs, luckily it didn't go too deep but i have a nice big scar now.

Matt

I have successfully made mortices indoors on a workmate. I removed most of the waste using a brace and bit. EDIT, that project was my first bedframe and used no powertools once the material was dimensioned (which someone else did for me)

mseries":2w8c20ko said:
I have successfully made mortices indoors on a workmate. I removed most of the waste using a brace and bit.

Good point; if you "drill and pare" little force is involved compared to the traditional "big hammer" approach.

BugBear

Thanks all for the comments :)

I quite like the idea of using a trestle type saw bench and, if I make two, I can leave one in the boot of the car during the week and be able to 'play' at lunchtimes during the warmer months of the year. That has to be a better plan than sitting at my desk not having a proper break :)

I have cut mortises on a workmate in the past but it always feels like a chore rather than a pleasure, it's never the right height and I regret it later when my back starts objecting to the awkward position I put it in. I'm not expecting to be cutting big mortises, so I'm hoping SWMBO won't notice too much noise over the sound of Eastenders - with a bit of luck she'll think it's part of the general activity in the Queen Vic.

Chris

JanetsBears":23iczzx3 said:
I quite like the idea of using a trestle type saw bench and, if I make two, I can leave one in the boot of the car during the week and be able to 'play' at lunchtimes during the warmer months of the year. That has to be a better plan than sitting at my desk not having a proper break :)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mark A":3111jnwn said:
JanetsBears":3111jnwn said:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hmm, on further consideration, perhaps I could utilise the smoker's shelter during inclement weather, especially if I grab the parking space nearby:
shelter.jpg
I can probably fend off any smokers as I'll be the one with a mallet and sharp chisels! (hammer)

Chris

Attachments

• shelter.jpg
    shelter.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 49
Back