Hand Brace Drill as a Screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AES":2pbiucva said:
I'm interested in this thread - especially about the more length = more torque comment - and NO, I'm NOT trying to stir anyone up,'onhest Guv!!

I have often got the feeling that using my Stanley "pump" screwdriver, closed of course (it must be the longest screwdriver I've got) that I CAN somehow get more torque onto a stubborn screw. As said, it's just a feeling, I've NO mathematical proof or anything.
Not sure if it's the last time but a previous time debate arose on this subject I think it's fair to say there were two very distinct camps :mrgreen:

Debate started here: giant-screwdriver-restoration-t99613.html and was then hived off to another thread at the request of the OP (link to that in the first thread).

I presume your thinking on the subject is somewhat along the lines of the published explanation posted at the start of the second thread?

Thanks for the link ED65, and for the comments Inspector. I have also used "speed braces" sometimes.

Re the link, it's bed time so I haven't gone all through it, but so far, while I agree it doesn't seem to make much "sense", I really do have the feeling that you can get more torque on to a stubborn screw with a longer screwdriver. Dunno, I'll go back and look at the link tomorrow (AFTER the motor bike racing).

Right, motor bike racing finished (that - IMO - useless arrogant Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo made a really stupid error about 2 or 3 laps into the race, and knocked off 3 other major competitors, leaving his team mate - Marc Marquez - to win). VERY frustrating. Anyway, I digress (not for the first time)!!

Thanks again for that link ED65, I must have missed it completely 1st time around, and all the subsidiary links. I've now read the lot and A) didn't realise that this argument has been going on so long (was the first link to a piece dated sometime in the 1880s?), nor; B) did I realise it was such a hotly contested subject.

Having read the lot, there are some interesting viewpoints there, some of which seem "obviously correct", others less so ("possible perhaps, but seem unlikely").

Anyway I still feel that I can get more "grunt" on (must stop calling it torque it seems) to remove stubborn screws with long screwdriver than with a short one. Don't really know why, but it works for me!

Thanks again :D

Came across this 4-jaw Aurowa brace - it is useless. Doesn’t hold round shank bits well, does not accept normal square taper augers and you can’t even use a hex bit holder in it. :cry:
I wonder if there is a square shank hex bit holder?

Attachments

• IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    673.5 KB · Views: 208
I think these are designed to hold square tapered tang bits. I've got two and both have a square socket at the base of the chuck which locks the bit from turning then the jaws close on the shank and centralise it. Tried using one with a 1/2" auger, drove the bit in no problems but on withdrawal the bit pulled up in the chuck releasing the tang from the socket and started slipping. You could give yours a clean, the socket might be full of crud, and it might hold the square tapers ok but for round or hex bits the three jaw brace is the go.

Back