Hall Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
My clients have a collection of 1970's teak cabinet furniture in their living room which they were given as wedding presents 30 odd years ago, and wanted some pieces making for the hall in a similar vein.

I used oak and stained it. The doors are solid timber throughout and the carcasses 25mm veneered MDF with big lippings rounded with a router;

Golden2.jpg

Golden3.jpg

Brad; with regard to the rounded lippings: how visible is the join between the lipping and the mdf? Any chance of a close up pic?
How do you finish the sawn edge of the mdf to get it really straight (as straight as the lipping)?

Thanks, Jim

Very nice. But why did they want a wardrobe in their hall ? :-k

Despite the good money you made making that...

How did you manage not to feel sick? It's hideous! Thank God for the 80's...

Aidan

Some quality 70's styling there Brad. i've got bits of a 70's teak side board all over the place in the workshop.

John-Henry

TheTiddles":5m1znop1 said:
Despite the good money you made making that...

How did you manage not to feel sick? It's hideous! Thank God for the 80's...

Aidan

yep , i'm with aidan on this one - nicely made as always brad but :sick: on the design front

IMO the best thing to do with 1970s teak (or other woods for that matter) furniture is to cut it up to recycle the timber.

Should have given me a bell Dunc, I've skipped loads of that stuff for clients :lol:
Did you really make it or pick it up from a charity shop?

Pays the bills, thats what counts.

I can't really disagree with the comments about the styling.

However, which demographic of potential customers has most disposable money?

The answer of course is retiring baby boomers who married in the 1960's or 70's - particularly ones like my clients who were both head teachers until recently and who I guess must have a very nice pension income and not a lot to spend it on. These people love this stuff!

This job took a relaxed week from start to finish. I was paid £2200. Materials about £250. Do the math!

I've got another 1970's repro unit made and in the spray booth ready for staining today, for a different client. A few decent photos of these on my website and I'll have the wrinklies beating a path to my door with their wallets wide open.

I'm just a woodworking Peach - and for 2 grand a week I'll be anyone's puppy!

:lol:

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":z0h2pj5d said:
I'm just a woodworking Peach - and for 2 grand a week I'll be anyone's puppy!

Cheers
Brad

careful Brad if you keep that up all year you'll be over the vat threshold! :x

John-Henry

By my calculations Brad you tunover £300,000 per annum and yet you remain below the vat threshold, how come.
If the answer is as I suspect why are you posting on an open forum?

Karl":unpnub10 said:
Doctor":unpnub10 said:
By my calculations Brad you tunover £300,000 per annum
You're not very good at maths then Doc. :D

Cheers

Karl

Sorry I thought Brad said he made it in a weekend, crikey it was a relaxed week.
Your right I'm not very good at maths, or readin and witring

Doctor":36fe0e7y said:
Karl":36fe0e7y said:
Doctor":36fe0e7y said:
By my calculations Brad you tunover £300,000 per annum
You're not very good at maths then Doc. :D

Cheers

Karl

Sorry I thought Brad said he made it in a weekend, crikey it was a relaxed week.
Your right I'm not very good at maths, or readin and witring

Not a beneficiary of Blair's readin, riting and rithmatic then :lol:

Having said that - the point is still valid re: VAT threshold.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":2u3r2r40 said:
Not a beneficiary of Blair's readin, riting and rithmatic then :lol:

Cheers

Karl

I'm a child of the thatcher years, o levels were a bit disappointing (in my mothers words) and unfortunately my further education resulted in a distinction in alcohol comsuption

Karl":1kigmer2 said:
Having said that - the point is still valid re: VAT threshold.

Maybe, maybe not.

We all have good weeks and not so good weeks. £2200 would be a good one, but I have plenty of others where I would turn over less than half that.

The current VAT threshold is £68,000 pa. Assuming a 48 week working year that averages out at a turnover of £1416.67 per week.

My average is still well below that. When my turnover in any quarter exceeds the quarterly VAT threshold of £17,000 I will have to register.

Thanks for your concern.

Brad

Incidentally, I got 'A' level maths!

And 'A' level woodwork...

Easy Tiger

I wasn't suggesting any impropriety uppn your part. In fact, although I quoted Doc, I was actually thinking of the post by JHWB re: VAT. I know that you are aware of the law pertaining to VAT.

Some of us don't have to worry about such matters.... :roll:

Cheers

Karl

Thanks for your concern.

Your welcome, we care Brad, remember bread and water and Mr Big in the shower each morning becomes tedious after a few years

Incidentally, I got 'A' level maths!
At my school you would have got your head flushed down the bog every morning for doing a level maths

Back