half-mask respirator?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 3M mask that is very similar to that and it works great. The only thing is to make sure that the bit that touches your face is silicone, as they are much more comfortable

I use a 3m 7500 half mask and I think it's brilliant. As shannyla said the silicone against your face is really comfortable and I find it makes a good seal even when I'm feeling a bit scruffy and don't bother having a shave :D. There is minimal breathing resistance and it's really quick to take on and off.

wobblycogs":8youtxha said:
I use a 3m 7500 half mask and I think it's brilliant. As shannyla said the silicone against your face is really comfortable and I find it makes a good seal even when I'm feeling a bit scruffy and don't bother having a shave :D. There is minimal breathing resistance and it's really quick to take on and off.

Bit of a thread revival! What insert do you use for these? As im many doing woodworking, but a bit of glue/adhesion based stiff thats fairly strong smelling!

Im guessing some P3 particle filters, then the combo particle P2/gas filters?

any ideas?

I have the 3m mask as well. Mines a 6000 and I use a gas filter for finish and fine dust. Its good and I use it a fair bit. Take it off in between machining processes. Apparently JasonB said you can get some pre filters to keep most of the dust away from the main filters.

Another vote for the 3M 6000 series full face mask.

I only use mine for the eye/face protection as it was a cheap bootfair job with no filters but I intend (sometime) to get some filters for finish and fine dust instead of using my existing dust mask.

Jim

I use the P2 filters for general woodwork and open the windows when finishing.

Personally I not that convinced on the effectiveness of vapour masks. I'm sure they will stop the fine mist from spraying but I would guess most solvents would pretty much pass straight though.

wobblycogs":1de9wns5 said:
I use the P2 filters for general woodwork and open the windows when finishing.

Personally I not that convinced on the effectiveness of vapour masks. I'm sure they will stop the fine mist from spraying but I would guess most solvents would pretty much pass straight though.

I am with you on this one...and anyway..don'tcha just LURVE the smell of nitro in the morning! :D

Jim

How often should you replace the filters on these sort of things?

IIRC the guidelines for the filter pads on my mask say they should be replaced when you can feel some resistance to breathing. As I don't get that much time in the workshop that means they last for ages.

Vapour filters almost certainly won't last as long though. Part of their action probably revolves around them being able to absorb the liquid droplets. Once they are opened they start to absorb water from the air losing their effectiveness. It's much better to try and vent vapours and gases / solvents to the outside world if possible.

SWMBO got her PhD in chemistry a few years ago studying new materials for gas masks. It was pretty shocking to see how little time even a very thick, military grade, pad of absorbent gave you against most gasses. Vapours, of course, were easier to filter being much larger but even then the results weren't exactly great.

has anyone compared the 7500 to the 600 mask for 3M?

Much difference other than the price, and its to be warn for a whole days at times, normal in a couple of hour stints at a time? Just wondering if the 7500 had any fitting or other advantages?

Also has anyone tried the P3 filters, as im using FFP3 disposables (8835) at the moment, the 3m double adjustable strap one. Which are nice and very comfy all day but at £20 for a box of five pretty expensive! Even if you use one a week! Also there's no way of block any vapours, especially when spray CA and accelerator, as those fumes are strong!!

PHIL

Hi Dan, I use the Scott profile 2 half mask with p3 filters like these I have on the bay, 120584098909 and get on with them well as you can get other filters if you have the need.
Regards Chris.

Back