Green oak dining table and bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archersam

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, its been a while but thought would show you a big old garden dining table and bench set that I made and installed just after Xmas.

Bit of WIP as well :D

Take some nice green oak
SDC10003.jpg

Make a wee jig to route the rebate for the metal plate (nice PC router from American ebay works a treat thanks to the idea from this forum)
SDC10807.jpg

Make some mess
SDC10801.jpg

Fits nice and flush now
SDC10806.jpg

Don't forget to drill holes for the heads of the coach screws
SDC10810.jpg

Shot of it all waiting for construction
SDC10809.jpg

3 shorter lengths for each leg
SDC10821.jpg

Fixed with a stainless threaded rod to ensure legs dont splay at the bottom
SDC10818.jpg

SDC10824.jpg

Now all they needed was some nice weather....
DSCF6127.jpg

DSCF6122.jpg

Obviously not fine carpentry but does the job and although I am biased it does a wonderful job indeed. Bring on the summer.
Sam

Looks good to me. Nice and chunky. :)

Have you put a finish on or are they being left to naturally go silvery-grey?

I'm also sure the reason no-one else has yet replied is because we're all so jealous of your workshop space!! :wink:

I like that, simple and chunky, it has a good visual impact. Practical too - job jobbed 8)

Very nice and chunky, should last a few years, I take it the first pic is the warehouse you bought the timber from? :lol:
Chris.

Thanks guys, yes I am very lucky with the workshop, but it seriously need organising, one of those too much space things going on......

The table is definetely chunky and weighs a LOT, but it is designed to come apart with not too much effort to assist in moving it.

I have left it to go silver grey as I have still not managed to find a finish that is any good on green oak particularly for outside, so if anyone has any ideas I would be happy to try them out as I have quite a few pieces as you will have seen 8) .

Thanks Olly, I've seen that stuff pop up in various threads and magazines and been tremped.....I'll go grab some, knock up a bench and leave it outside for a bit of testing for the summer......

I completely missed this one. Looks nice and chunkable, as Rob would say.

Is this a new workshop Sam? Looks more like an airport hangar!

hey Tom, err yes its a new one that I am borrowing off a friend (yes NICE friend) so everything is a bit temporary as it will be sold at some stage......

Its 2000sq ft! :oops: and I'm running out of space :D but it just needs a bit of a sort out, but am too busy with everything else and am thinking that if it is kept untidy and a mess potential buyers will be put off (somehow I don't think it works like that with commercial space buyers!!!)

This is the space that I would have stored that wood you mentioned on here some time back.
Sam

archersam":230o5737 said:
Thanks Olly, I've seen that stuff pop up in various threads and magazines and been tremped.....I'll go grab some, knock up a bench and leave it outside for a bit of testing for the summer......

I think you can buy small sample pots of that Osmo UV oil... Smith & Roger sell it from their website but, the postage might make it infeasible, unless you're buying something else at the same time? Maybe you have a local stockist of Osmo products?

Thanks Olly, I had actually looked on the manufacturers website and found a stockist who I happened to drive past today, but funnily enough being a Sunday there were shut. 8)

I've used the Osmo outdoor version (UV Protection oil Extra (420)on some garden furniture last year and it's so far survived the Summer (what bit there was) and the ravages of the winter months and it still looks good.

Wether it's a long term treatment in the real world remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful so far.

FWIW I'd avoid the Osmo ply X as it's indoor use and not much UV factor, although it's excellent for indoor projects.

Latest posts

Back