greasy finger marks!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus

Established Member
Reaction score
i always seem to get finger marks on my work piece no matter how hard i try to avoid it. as you know you can not sand it out,and it shows through the finish. what can be done to remove these marks????

If it really is greasy finger marks, stop eating fish and chips in the workshop or get a water stone instead of an oil stone!

However, I used to have a collegue who had problems with acidic sweat. He used to leave grey/blak finger marks on the wood, especially if it had a high tannin content. It was so bad that his tools had rusty finger marks on them.

I also have a student who is a farrier, he has had problems with his timber getting darker as the project progressed, caused by ingrained dirt in his hands (much of it ferrous) getting onto the timber.

The only solutions I can suggest is a thorough hand was before starting work and application of a barrier cream.

wear the thin surgical gloves you can get for administering first aid and that sort of thing they are throw away and don't make ur hands sweat.

Yeah, I bought a box of 100 (50 pairs) cheap, throwaway gloves from Screwfix for less than a tenner. The gloves themselves aren't the best quality but the box has lasted over two-years now.

Latest posts

Back