Gouges and Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a tongue in cheak comment, and I agree with Robbo's comment about smaller lathes where it is just fine, but there are a couple of things when these mounts are used on larger more expensive machines (Side-swipe at Record CL3's & 4's intended :wink: ).

With 3/4" x 16TPI mounting you can only fit a 1MT drive, which is more likely to slip than 2MT, and, lets face it, there are many fewer accessories available for 1MT than 2MT. It may be me but I find 2MT a lot easier to keep clean than 1MT - It's quite handy to be able to put your finger inside! :wink:

The other thing is that this mount usually goes with smaller diameter headstock shafts which will be less rigid - especially if they are hollow and if they aren't hollow then they have other disadvantages - knock-out issues.

So Robbo is right that they do work "ok", but IMHO there are better solutions - which was my point.

To answer your question Andrew, a well engineered insert should not create too many problems for you although in ideal world you wouldn't use an insert because they can push the chuck further from the headstock bearings.

Having said that though I wouldn't necessarily assume that your next lathe will be 1" x 8TPI and, if it isn't, you've been using an insert for no benefit.
HTH
Jon

just one more comment AndrewBullie,
do be careful about spending all day slaving over a hot lathe - if you're not used to it you could do some muscle damage and end up in pain. Better to build up gradually as with most things.

K

Wish I'd seen this advice before I got my lathe a few weeks ago! I once did a martial arts taster session which involved loads of standing still - nearly killed me. The lathe came a close second - I found aches where I am sure there are no muscles! I now have a safety regime that includes having a cup of tea every hour or so!

Martin

No chance of that, I work 65 hours a week, walk the dog twice a day for a total of 10 miles and have a 18 month old little girl who is turning in to a monster!! The only time I will get is half an hour on an evening and maybe 3 hours on a weekend.

Anyway, I did have my first ever go of it tonight just messing about with some cheap Wickes 2 x 2. I was quite impressed with what I managed to produce! That was until I shaped it to just over a half inch in one place and it snapped and flew out of the machine. Had face visor on, but it didn't hit me anyway. All part of the learning I suppose but the tools I was using were rubbish, they were made by Clarke and cost £18 for a set of 8. I really got them for practicing my tool sharpening on before i take the good ones to the stone. I am planning on picking up a selection of Crown cryo steel gouges next week from Axminster in Warrington, a guy I know recommended them to me.

Back