Got a old circular saw blade lying around?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed that :)

I've handled a bought in similar blade in similar fashion and it's very satisfying, more so I guess if you make the blade too !

A few weeks ago I spent the weekend with Dave Budd http://www.davebudd.com/ and forged a blade from a round steel bar using his iron age style hand bellowed forge and handled it with a bit of walnut. It turned out a bit crude and lumpy due to my lack of skill but very interesting to go through the processes and it's still a very functional and sharp knife :)

Cheers, Paul

The older untipped blades tend to be better steel (obviously).

I used one to make a few small square for checking inside corners, where normal
squares are inconvenient.

small_square.JPG

Despite the camera distortions, that is square within about 1/2 a thou.

BugBear

Farriers rasps is another sought after one for knife makers. I've got two made by a gentleman called Michael Morris, really nice guy and lovely work.

Have had this one at the side of my shed for ten years, and was there for eight at least with the previous occupant. Could make a couple of fine swords, as it's 4ft 6in in diameter.

photo 1.JPG

Phil

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 770
Sheptonphil":dsz2mit2 said:
Have had this one at the side of my shed for ten years, and was there for eight at least with the previous occupant. Could make a couple of fine swords, as it's 4ft 6in in diameter.

Phil

And you left it out there to rust? good god man what were you thinking? :mrgreen:

Thought I'd throw this in the mix. Not in the same league but it only took an hour. Made from a hack saw blade and some scrap curly maple.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 717
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 717
rafezetter":3t6hrcwx said:
Sheptonphil":3t6hrcwx said:

Phil

And you left it out there to rust? good god man what were you thinking? :mrgreen:
Such good steel only light surface rust :lol:

It's a little snug on my 10" table saw.

What was that stuff he dipped the handle in that was over the stove? Given its heating method it would seem that it would be boiled linseed?

He had his slitting disk on backwards on the grinder too.... :p

I need an old saw blade now, do rather want to try making one.

Back