Gorilla Gripper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinger

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of the above. I shall be 79 later this year & am finding it difficult to handle, on my own, sheet material. This looks an excellent piece of kit & if anyone can advise me I would be grateful. It comes in 2 sizes, up to 19mm thick sheet or 10 - 28mm thick sheet & as they are the same price, I presume the second choice would be best.
Thanks in advance.
Slinger

I fervently hope I'm handling sheet material on my own at 79!

Good luck to you Slinger, you're a top man.

Once again another UK rip off, Rockler sell these for $39.99 cheapest I could find was Amazon.co.uk prime at £49.50.

Ed Bray":l3m14kp2 said:
Once again another UK rip off, Rockler sell these for $39.99 cheapest I could find was Amazon.co.uk prime at £49.50.

I know a relative that lives in USA - problem is the shipping (and possible customs) may mean it adds up to £50 anyway.

rafezetter":3scxxb2d said:
Ed Bray":3scxxb2d said:
Once again another UK rip off, Rockler sell these for $39.99 cheapest I could find was Mytoolshed.co.uk at £44.62.

I know a relative that lives in USA - problem is the shipping (and possible customs) may mean it adds up to £50 anyway.

It winds me up though, $39.99 is about £27 and the 'best' price I can find is just under double that, other places are asking much more Axminster £56.78.

Now I understand the volume thing, 110v 60hz has a much larger user base than 230v 50hz so I accept that they have better buying power than us, but come on, it's a clever gizmo with a couple of moving parts.

Thanks to everyone. Most grateful, but although it looks a good bit of kit, no one has yet bought one so I have no member's personal experience to call on. Will mull it over for a couple of weeks, but should I decide, I will relate if it is worth it.
Thanks once again

I have one and have used it a lot. It's brilliant and the only limiting factor is how high or for how long you can lift a board. I've got the larger one and you can clamp two boards together if you can lift it.

The clamping action works well and obviously clamps harder the heavier the board is. I've never had a board slip aside from when I'm trying to move a board onto a table, for example, where I momentarily ease pressure off the handle. So keep the pressure on by lifting and it's rock solid.

I've used it to shift boards in and around the workshop and I even carried a couple of 12mm sheets of plasterboard back from my local Travis Perkins who are 10 mins walk up the road - never again - I bought three and told them to sod the third one. :)

If your use case is for moving boards on edge around the shop then fine. But if you want help maneuvering sheets from vertical to horizontal onto a table for cutting, then it's not perfect, but with a bit of technique should be easier than not using it.

sjalloq":5lc6k4jr said:
I have one and have used it a lot. It's brilliant and the only limiting factor is how high or for how long you can lift a board. I've got the larger one and you can clamp two boards together if you can lift it.

The clamping action works well and obviously clamps harder the heavier the board is. I've never had a board slip aside from when I'm trying to move a board onto a table, for example, where I momentarily ease pressure off the handle. So keep the pressure on by lifting and it's rock solid.

I've used it to shift boards in and around the workshop and I even carried a couple of 12mm sheets of plasterboard back from my local Travis Perkins who are 10 mins walk up the road - never again - I bought three and told them to sod the third one. :)

If your use case is for moving boards on edge around the shop then fine. But if you want help maneuvering sheets from vertical to horizontal onto a table for cutting, then it's not perfect, but with a bit of technique should be easier than not using it.

It was for the above reasons I went for the alternative Panel lifter because you lift with your arm straight down by your side using your legs to do the lifting. The arm that is high is only steadying the sheet. When going from vertical to horizontal you lower the arm that is steadying the sheet and lift the panel lifter. it is a bit awkward but manageable by one person with most sheets. As I say it is also a quarter of the price.

I've ordered one and the standard panel lifter too, I had already planned to redo the garage roof with OSB, then roofing felt and then replace the steel coated sheets, the Gorilla Gripper will be brilliant for lifting the 19m OSB up onto the roof, I wont be carrying them up the ladder like the chap in the video though, just a straight pull.

Do you actually need to lift the sheets.

I use a small, narrow, wheeled trolley for moving sheets around, pivot lift up the end of a board, drop it on the trolley and of I go.

I still need to lift them on to the bench or trestles though, but I normally just tip them over.

With the right wheels you could go for miles!!

No use though if you need to go up a ladder..

Thanks again for all the replies. Everyone has been most helpful. Ed Bray, as I am also in Plymouth, I may contact you by way of a pm?, whatever that is, if that's OK? I am unsure how to contact other members direc,t because at my age I do not really know my way round what the computer can do.
Slinger

Slinger":3knb08ef said:
Thanks again for all the replies. Everyone has been most helpful. Ed Bray, as I am also in Plymouth, I may contact you by way of a pm?, whatever that is, if that's OK? I am unsure how to contact other members direc,t because at my age I do not really know my way round what the computer can do.
Slinger
Not a problem at all.

I'll send you one, then you can just reply to it.

Latest posts

Back