Gorilla Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodfinish Man

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have tried this range of products and what they think of them?

We're considering stocking some but as yet haven't done any trials.

Ian McAslan

I tried it but found it messy and 'orrible. There's added work in prepping surfaces. Much prefer Titebond II or III.

I thought it was great stuff, very strong and versatile, but you do have to be careful in your clean up - if it gets somewhere it shouldn't it's a pipper.

I've tried it and I'm not a fan - it's pretty messy stuff and you have to be careful not to get any on you. Whereas with other glues you can clean it up immediately after you clamp the project, the foaming action of the Gorilla Glue means that glue keeps appearing! You're then left with hardened bubbles around all of the joints, which is a pain to clean.

I remember reading a fine woodworking article which tested the relative strength, and Gorilla Glue didn't do too well. If I remember correctly, the gap filling properties weren't as impressive as advertised, so the conclusion was to stick to titebond.

I'll second what DeepBlue has said and mine went off (hardened in the bottle) pretty quickly once opened.

My Titebond III is still going strong after about 18 months?

Rod

I found it terrible for decent woodwork use. It's very messy, difficult to remove 'sqeeze-out staining and near impossible to get off skin! It worked ok on garden furniture where you don't have to be too fussy.
It also worked quite well on brick and concrete repairs. However, my overalll view is that it is over-rated and over priced. Titebond Rules! :lol:

I've never used Gorilla glue but did try something similar from my local timber merchant (struggling to remember the name...). Anyway... It dried fast (half hour I seem to recall) and strong - I could make up several pieces in fairly short order because I could get the clamps off sooner than with previous glues. Clean up was never a problem in so far as I would just run a chisel along the drier foam followed by sanding etc. However... It did eventually harden in the bottle. I've been using Titbond ever since. I have their polyurethane glue too but hardly ever use it.

IIRC Gorilla Glue was being sold cheap (really cheap) at Ally Pally this year.

Thanks so much for all your responses, its brilliant to ask a question and have 10 answers in a day - you've definitely made my mind up.

Titebond here we come!

I haven't used gorilla glue but its a polyurathene glue which is the main type of glue I use, if you find it messy to use then I would suggest you are not using it properly.
The glue should be applied and clamped and no attempt to clean up at all, let it dry completely and then just pop excesss of with a blunt chisel, way easier than any other glue I have used.

I have used gorilla glue and find it very good. I usually use it for bonding oily timbers such as iroko and wenge and for gluing up panels. You can get other pu glues that are a lot cheaper but gorilla glue gives you a longer open time which can be quite short with other PU glues. In my unscientific test of gluing two blocks of iroko together and bashing it with a club hammer the gorilla glue was loads stronger than titebond.

Jon

Doctor":2fekd1i2 said:
I haven't used gorilla glue but its a polyurathene glue which is the main type of glue I use, if you find it messy to use then I would suggest you are not using it properly.
The glue should be applied and clamped and no attempt to clean up at all, let it dry completely and then just pop excesss of with a blunt chisel, way easier than any other glue I have used.

Yup.

And wear latex gloves every single time (I manage about 9/10, and then get slack, learn my lesson again, over and over to fade....)

I think Gorilla and the other foaming PU glues (I use the Wudcare one) have their place. Admittedly this is probably not in fine furniture most of the time, but they have their uses.

In many house refurb / building applications I find them excellent. Definitely agree on the latex gloves, it normally takes about a week to wear the rubbish off your hands if you don't.

Cheers, Ed

I have found Gorrila glue great for rough joinery, outside work such as gates ETC. I also use it on newel posts as it sets quickly and expands. It is totally woterproof too which is a big help. Not for fine carpentry though. :wink:

Latest posts

Back