Google Streetview Coverage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Considering how many cameras we are already seen by, I am not sure whether to feel privileged or discriminated against by the relative coverage for the UK compared with others in Europe. I wonder what the Germands are hiding - new V2 installations perhaps?

776716809_ghboy-L.png
:D

I seem to remember reading that the Germans have rules that basically prohibit street view, Google started taking photos there but were forced to give up (I read this along time ago so I might not be remembering it correctly). I'm surprised by how few areas of the UK have been done though.

I think it's fantastic. It's helped me find places that would not have been easy otherwise. Tho as said, it's a shame there's so little coverage. More often that not the area I want to travel to isn't covered.

I've not read the press about it, so don't understand the privacy issues. But it seems like the least of poeples worries IMO

Critics have claimed that it's a burglars route map Tom.

Roy.

Apparently 'the moaners' were saying it would help burglars etc. ??? I can't see how unless they're housebound, or incredibly lazy, burglars, in which case what's the worry?

The press will always find an angle to enrage people over an issue that does not exist. :roll:

I would think that it's a pretty incontrovertible fact that ten thousand times more people physically pass my house every day than look it up on streetview. There must be a certain percentage of burglars amongst them, but I don't waste my time fretting about it.

I suppose it would be different if I had a tennis court in the front garden, three Rollers and a servants' block.

wizer":1v6rjncp said:
The press will always find an angle to enrage people over an issue that does not exist. :roll:

In this case before it had even happened. Story

Critics say the site can be used by burglars planning escape routes from homes and by terrorists looking for military bases.

The site has even been used by teenagers arranging unauthorised swimming parties in unoccupied homes.

That would be neat. The picture of my house is now 18 months old - how would they know it's empty? And unless your swimming pool is next to the street you couldn't see it!

Put your postcode into Google and search it. Click on Maps. You will get a little red pin thing on the map. If you are on Streetview you get an option on that box to click on.

Picture6-1.png

Personally I think it is intrusive.

Perhaps OK for High Streets or Industrial Estates if you want to locate a shop whatever, but why include houses?
You get plenty of info from the maps so why the need for photos?

Rod

Tom - because it is unwanted, uninvited and being carried out without the owner's permission.
I said nothing about Privacy but if I wanted to show the world where I lived, I would do it under my own terms.

Houses are generally private, they are not public buildings?

Rod

The law entitles any person to photograph anything they can see from the public highway. Always has, until recently, when security zones around possible terrorist targets were set up. So really, nothing has changed. The outside of your house IS public, and always has been.

Harbo":1s9bic2s said:
Tom - because it is unwanted, uninvited and being carried out without the owner's permission.
I said nothing about Privacy but if I wanted to show the world where I lived, I would do it under my own terms.

Houses are generally private, they are not public buildings?

Rod

I can see where you're coming from Rod but, as has been said, anyone can walk up your road, assuming it isn't private, and look at all the houses, in much greater detail than streetview allows. So I can't really see the problem as no other info is given as to who lives there.
Also, as smudger has said, it is long out of date. The view of my house still shows the tarp on my garage roof; I fixed the roof at least three years ago?

Harbo":1q441juk said:
Personally I think it is intrusive.

Perhaps OK for High Streets or Industrial Estates if you want to locate a shop whatever, but why include houses?
You get plenty of info from the maps so why the need for photos?

Rod

Rod

I'm with you on this one. I don't care that anyone can walk down my street and take a photo but they have to physically do this ..somehow sitting on their backside seems more intrusive. Fortunately where we live they won't get close enough.

intrusive blah! Your house is a public facade. What bugs me is theres always a lorry or bus in front of the building you're looking for!

Streetview photographs are taken from a much higher viewpoint than a person walking along the street. So, someone erecting a 6' fence to afford them some privacy would now need something in the region of 8'.

In essence the goal posts have been moved and, with it, the comfort zone. Anyone walking down my street has some business to physically be there whereas now, what can be defined as "their reason" is somewhat different. You buy something on eBay and the seller can, for example, take a look at your house. Quite why they'd want to do this is beyond me but then I would not profess to being able to explain what the next person chooses to do.

I think it's hard to pin down exactly what might be intrusive, it simply a case that your post code now leaves you more public than ever before (potential number of eyes and what is visible).

A car driving very slowly past your house photographing the contents of your front room through the window would be intrusive - though perfectly legal, assuming you home isn't a government building, military installation, or as said further up the thread, earmarked as a potential terrorist target.

I find streetview most useful for checking the parking restrictions before I turn up at a job, or for checking directions/local landmarks if I'm going to be approaching somewhere from a different way to usual; nothing worse than turning up somewhere expecting 'phone parking when you needed a pocket full of pound coins...

Cheers, Pete.

Back