Good money

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HawkEye":dm302a15 said:
GrahamH":dm302a15 said:
I used to be in the same boat, three years at the London College of Furniture, left with good qualifications ...

What was the IT qualification you got? I considered taking the A+ and becoming a bench tech but I couldn't find anyone who was hiring.

I did a two year B'Tech national diploma, it covered a just about all aspects of IT from hardware, software and programming. I'd also started doing the Microsoft exams (MCP & MCSA) - buying books and online stuff.

I dread to think how many jobs I'd applied for, before even getting an interview - just don't give up.

As I've said before I miss the wood work - it might not pay as much as IT but it's much more satisfying (in my opionion anyway).

Have a look at Peter Millards post as he's got some very good ideas - some of which I'm going to try.

best of luck

Graham

Hi hawkeye

its the new year and the time to be optimistic

i feel i can speak with some semblance of understanding as i have been in the same boat as you at various times in my life as i am sure most people have, and it normally happens at new year and especially at the end of a decade. I have retrained an number of times and I now have an ONC + OND in construction, an OND in Outdoor Leisure, an OND in Computing and a Degree in Business Information Technology and i still dont know what i want to do for a living . This training has formed me into what i am today but has not changed me from what i was.

Today i run my own business and life is a struggle between getting paid , paying the bills and staying positive.

I am a family man and that is what drives me on even though sometimes i question my own sanity and think about sending the boys around for outstanding payments

No one person can make this journey easy but you must pay heed to some good advice found on this forum particularly is the musings of Peter Millard

for what its worth i offer my pointers

- stay structured in your ambitions - this is not easy. as people will put things in your way but try and find something out every job you take even a paper round - it gets you out in the fresh air
- stay positive - If you already think your ahead of the competition you are ahead of the competition - this is not easy but think about where you dont want to be

sounds to me with a little more patience you will get the start that you have been craving and then at least you will be able to bring some of your life into your work

Back