Good form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
Spurred on by the bowl competition, I thought I'd start a thread suggesting where to look for inspiration on form and decoration.

For me one of the best turning books I have The Art of The Turned Bowl by Richard Raffan. It doesn't cover much on the mechanics of turning a bowl but concentrates on design techniques and what to consider when making bowls. I refer to it regularly and it was the first place I looked for inspiration for the competition. I even managed to persuade our club to add it to the library and it was well received all round.
The chapters are Wood, Preparing Blanks, Form, Walls/Rims/Bases, Green turned Bowls, Surface Decoration, Decorative Shaping.

Another great book is 500 Wood Bowls which is basically just a picture book with photos of 500 wooden bowls. Most have just one photo but a few show details. There are a few that weren't produced on a lathe but most were. I was lucky enough to find it in a second hand book shop :)

Once you have the techniques for creating a bowl I feel it's time to start concentrating on the design and these 2 books really help.

Any more suggestions to add to the list?

Duncan

I`d agree with all of the above. I also very much like "New Masters of Woodturning" -Terry Martin and Kevin Wallace, both for its illustrations of world class turning and also its in depth profiles/interviews of those who carried them out. Again, not a detailed "how to" guide, but valuable for an insight into the makers` approach .
I`d also add "Decorating Turned Wood" by Liz & Michael O`Donnell as a stimulus for ideas, alongside information on techniques, for anyone who wants to make forays into decorative work.

Ian

I have a folder of different shapes that I find online as well as books. I often Google different types of pottery or ceramics for example and look at the different shapes.

Pete

Hi

There is a new book out from GMC Woodturning Design. I have attached the link here.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=3891&idcategory=579

But one of the best places to find ideas of form is through research on google and look at the pics sections you will end up with hundreds if not thousands.

Try googling

conctemporary ceramics.

Chinese ceramics

Japanese ceramics

Contemporary glass.

While these will give you ideas of form it is understanding at times what makes a good form mathematically that the books can help with and the new one covers this.

Back