Good evening from Switzerland!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there,

First I want to say, Im really glad about all the experience I found at UK Workshop and Im looking forward to interesting contacts, opinions, projects...

I have created an account last week and want to give a short Introduction about myself:

My name is Sascha and I live in Switzerland. Age 44, 2 young kids.
I always said, next lifetime a get a carpenter, I love wood as long I could remember.
At one point I thought, "why not this lifetime".
So I started with woodworking books, little weekend classes, and finally I quit my job as a male nurse a few years ago.
2020 I started an apprenticeship for Carpentry/Tablemaking.
If everything will go fine, I could name myself a carpenter( far a way from being a good one (-: ) in Summer 2024 (4 years here in Switzerland).
In my company, we do several jobs from service work , installing fire Doors, building Furniture (mostly not massive wood), Tables, Acoustic Panels, some selfmade Oakdoors every year. etc..

I love to make furniture, sharpening tools and if there would be a 12 Step Program for Tool Addicts I should definitely go there:cool:.
Im also interested in Laser engraving and Cutting ant try to combine old and new techniques, for example I love to make jigs for the router by Laser Cutting.

My workshop is about 4x3m, I work there mostly with handtools doing some little woodwork, sharpening my tools and so on. All the slow work.

So far from me with woody regards from Basel

Sascha N.

P.S. Sorry for my limited English.

Welcome, from a Brit living just outside Liestal. Come to Basel every week for choir practice, amongst other things. This is a good place to hang out, lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people here. And YES, agree with the above - your written English is a LOT better than my written Hoch Deutsch!

Cheers

Wow, what a warm welcome, thanks everybody!

Welcome, from a Brit living just outside Liestal. Come to Basel every week for choir practice, amongst other things. This is a good place to hang out, lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people here. And YES, agree with the above - your written English is a LOT better than my written Hoch Deutsch!

Cheers
Thats 20min. from my place (Riehen) Small planet(-:
Welcome Sascha, I'd be interested in learning what life is like in Switzerland at the moment, economy and the general feeling amongst your nation?
Hello Mark, Im an austrian guy and live here since 2008, so Im not a born Swiss. In my limited opinion Switzerland is doiing quite good, I read about Companies that struggle with the strong Swiss Franc for Export, but for example in my Area there is a lot of work and the infrastructure is really well organized. When I came here as a nurse, I enjoyed working on really high standards and had more or less time for the patients. But what I here in the last years it changed, because of the extrem high costs in the health System. As a family with two kids I would pay around (depending on the extras) around 1000 Euro per month, and it doesnt matter, how much you earn. But they have support for people with less money, so we get quite a discount because of my apprenticeship. The goverment pay the difference. In Context to woodworking, Iam again and again astonished of some people that really pay for quality work. The Swiss people so far as I see it really appreciate Quality.

Life it self is at a very high standard, but also quite expensive. Hope I answered your question a bit, if not, just ask.

I will try to post some projects, at the moment I prepare for the "Teileprüfung", a tough one, its a practical exam, in that you produce 10 little woodworking jobs, for every one you have an Hour time and the goalis to do 10 of them in 1 and a half day. in some years, I heard 30 % failed. If some of you are interested, how apprentice works here, just let me know.

How does it work in Great Britain?

With best regards and thanks again for the warm welcome!

Sascha

Back