going self employed should i......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shim20

Established Member
Reaction score
im 23 got 7 years maybe abit more experience in furniture making annd joinery windows doors etc, but probally more knowlage on the furniture side, just recently ive got the urge to try and do my own thing, im thinking of renting a small space a first with the bare minium of machines and still work full time and just see how it goes, just looking for some advice for people who have done it etc,
many thanks
ben

I packed in my job 5 years back, best thing I ever did.
Bullying bosses, ridiculous policies, I was a social worker in the learning disability field.
I had a hobby, after a few years it became self financing, and I dropped a day a week of the job.
My bosses did not like this and expected me to work harder as I was putting in less hours. I tried to drop another day and they woud not let me.
so I jumped.
I was lucky in that I had a double garage to start off in (illegally) but it worked, 2 1/2 years back I started renting a workshop.

My advice is to start your craft while working, look into dropping the hours in increments. if possible try and find a rent free premises to start. Finding the rent could be hard work. But then again you are staying in employment.

re equipment, make sure it all pays for itself. When I was hobbying it I used to have a slush fund. Any money from sales went into it and stayed there to be spent on tools and materials. I felt more comfortable not going into household funds. Then if I had a small surplus it paid for a few holidays etc as a treat.

Working for yourself can be a great experience but also a lonely one. The only way to find out if it is for you is to try it.
You will probably go mad, but that never bothered me.
The main thing is try not to overstretch your self and avoid borrowing money.

Good luck.
Chunko'.

thanks very usefull advice, that was my plan to slowly drop the hours if things plan out ok, machine wise i was going to try and find a kity k5 and a morticer and small saw bench and upgrade as/if i need to, most people i spoke to said that there pleased they did it,
thanks again
ben

One essential piece of kit, a decent stereo.
When my CD player died I had to go home, the radio drove me mad in about 25 minutes.
And a kettle.

Chunko'.

ha yes got a cd player good music helps alot with working on your own, my boss is out most the time and stuck there on my own so bit used to that, think maybe a dog might be good company to in time

I got my own shop about 12 months ago, I am 29, i did a cabinet making apprenticeship at 16, went into shopfitting at 24 now back in the workshop. Its the best thing i have done also, but its hairy at the same time, cash flow being the biggest problem of all, some months you do well, other months its rubbish, the winter is shocking, the summers are hot. I have found myself a steady stream of commercial work this is my bread and butter money but i have to wait a long time for it to come in. I don't work on credit i finance everything from the offset, either by way of deposits (normally 50%) or from my pocket when doing commercial stuff.

its been a long hard slog and it still is, i have some grand ideas but always find myself too busy to do anything about them. I only have another 3 or 4 weeks of domestic work left which worries me slightly, but I am yet to advertise which i will be soon.

I hope this helps and i am sure there will be a few along to tell you how blinking great it is, then there will be a few to tell you how rubbish it is, but i would say the majority of them will say its the best thing they have done.

hope this helps

I would echo all that has been said.

I'm self employed, and yes it is tough at times, but the worst of times are still better than being employed.

I started with a set of old marples chisels and nothing else, as I was paye for so long I didn't have the need to own stuff before that. I walked out of the job that I had been in for eight years with no customers (the day before the economy crashed), but had to do it for my own sanity. 2 1/2 years on I have 1560 sq ft of workshop and most of the gear that I need (you will never have everything you want!) I don't advertise and I'm busy as hell.

The upshot of all that drivvle is that imo you will not regret it, just grab a bit of bravery and have faith that things will work out ok.

Well I can relate to all the above. I went self employed around ten months ago after redundancy and had to rent a workshop. I already had all the tools and machinery so no problem there. It is a bit of a nightmare at times but so far I have had a steady stream of work and am just managing to pay the bills. I do advertise but most of my work comes from word of mouth. Still as has been said it is better than being employed although I work a lot more hours for less pay. I am trying to get more joinery work as this pays quicker than the cabinet making but needs must and I will take whatever is about. HTH.

thanks for all the replys helps with the whole confidence thing :lol: , ive found a kity k5 on ebay so watching that at the moment will be a start anyway, ive got routers drills sanders etc so ok there just the big stuff i havent got but will just make do at first

Ben
Woodwork to me is a hobby so I can offer no advice but I wish you all the best for the future and hope things work out well for you.
Stew

This coming Wednesday is my 1 year anniversary of being a self employed cabinet maker. I have loved every second of it.

Its something I always wanted to do. I quit my job(cabinet maker) literately over night due to a ridiculous disciplinary letter from my employer. A long story and very petty on their part. ( I know there is 2 sides to every story, but really you would not believe the situation!) Anyway I got the letter at the end of one day and handed my notice letter and keys to them the next morning first thing, much to their surprise!

My advice is only buy tools and machinery you can't manage without (the rest will come in time) try and keep your overheads to a minimum, avoid borrowing any money, get your name about as much as you can.

Good luck :)

DIY Stew":1jsshl9h said:
Ben
Woodwork to me is a hobby so I can offer no advice but I wish you all the best for the future and hope things work out well for you.
Stew

thanks very much :)

Superunknown hits on a very important point when he say's get your name about as much as you can, cause, without the clients/customers you can spend as much as you like to little avail. One technique that has worked for many aspiring entrepreneur's is to have your business cards made tent style and place them in the toilets of...exhibitions (doesn't have to be yours) where people attending these events have their minds on the very skills you are offering. People will just pick up your card, and if your lucky might just give you a call. Stay within the area you are willing to work in at first, check on the cards to see if there moving and keep replacing them, it's worth noting for every ten cards distributed, one on average, will work. Make sure the card spells out exactly what you can and are willing to do i.e the service you are providing. enjoy the exhibition, and good luck...bosshogg

bosshogg":9i82tuiv said:
Superunknown hits on a very important point when he say's get your name about as much as you can, cause, without the clients/customers you can spend as much as you like to little avail. One technique that has worked for many aspiring entrepreneur's is to have your business cards made tent style and place them in the toilets of...exhibitions (doesn't have to be yours) where people attending these events have their minds on the very skills you are offering. People will just pick up your card, and if your lucky might just give you a call. Stay within the area you are willing to work in at first, check on the cards to see if there moving and keep replacing them, it's worth noting for every ten cards distributed, one on average, will work. Make sure the card spells out exactly what you can and are willing to do i.e the service you are providing. enjoy the exhibition, and good luck...bosshogg
are you thinking of another form of work? i would not dream of leaving a business card in a toilet!

I'd certainly leave business cards or A5 leaflets with photos of your work (proper printed card) in the local coffee shops. Hadleigh is quite posh* and well-to-do so there must be some and you should be able to command a good rate for your work.

*My brother live there, so I've visited the town a few times.

You'd be missing one of the best ways of getting new business, but as they say across the pond "A man's gota do what a man's gota do"...good luck with your venture all the same...bosshogg

Even a stupid man's go to be right sometimes

not one to talk about toilet habits, but does kind of make sense, as lot of people need something to read whilst in there.

I'm just a hobby woodworker but wish you the best of luck. My wife on the other hand is self employed, (not a woodworker) and works from home.

We have found a few things to keep us sane.

1. Try not to borrow money to survive or at all if possible.
2. Don't buy anything unless you actually need it.
3. Keep your overheads as low as possible, hence she works from home where a lot of domestic bills are now tax deductible.
4. Keep good financial records, it will save you money at the end of the year when completing your tax return.
5. Don't run before you can walk.
6. Consider getting a good website, everyone looks at the web for a presence.

As I say not actually in the trade but it has worked for us. It also helps that I am employed so we have some security to fall back on.

Regards

Mick

Hi- I have been self employed for 12 years and would stress two points. You must have a web site. If you are computer literate you can make your own for well under £100 using Mr Site, (no doubt there are others available) It allows you to display photos of work completed without having to worry about carrying around, and loosing, your photo album. Besides the photos, a page to describe yourself, a page for what you can make and a page on how to make contact is really all that you need. Testimonials can also be displayed.
Secondly I have found that advertising in local parish/village magazines to be very good value. Lots of people like to support their local tradespeople. An average cost in this area is £20-£30 for 12 issues.
There is strong evidence to support the theory that people are staying put and making improvements rather than moving and as long as tyou are prepared a change a few doors and skirtings along the way then work should be available but expect Dec,Jan and Feb to be quiet.

Latest posts

Back