Gluing a strip to MR MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reptilemarine

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to glue and tack some thin plywood / flexible MDF to the edge of an MDF profile I am creating. However I am not sure if this is possible due to it being MR MDF? I wasn't sure if this would prevent the glue from sticking as i was planning to use a water based glue?

Any help or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Jon

Edge to edge won't work but anything else should be fine.

It's not a problem. I make the substrate for saw cut veneers by skinning a ply core with 3mm Moisture Resistant MDF and it all bonds beautifully.

Thats great, thank you for your prompt replies. I didn't quite explain my self properly, I am cutting an external curve in two pieces of MR MDF and then glue and tacking some flexible MDF / plywood to these curved parts to make a 3D curved shape. But from your replies it looks like this shouldn't be a problem.

reptilemarine":307sywhq said:
Thats great, thank you for your prompt replies. I didn't quite explain my self properly, I am cutting an external curve in two pieces of MR MDF and then glue and tacking some flexible MDF / plywood to these curved parts to make a 3D curved shape. But from your replies it looks like this shouldn't be a problem.

That's a bit trickier. Not impossible, but a bit trickier.

PVA only bonds when it's under pressure, in fact the recommendations for how much pressure are surprisingly high...for example vacuum veneering only just squeaks in past the minimum threshold. Plus "edge grain" MDF drinks adhesive, moisture resistant MDF is better than standard, but you still have to be aware about glue starvation.

You can still pull this off with PVA, but everything has to go right, in particular the clamping and the glue application. If I wasn't 100% confident about those things I'd be thinking about epoxy or Cascamite.

Good luck!

Thanks for your additional input custard. I shall do a test piece with the Cascamite and see how I go, failing that I will try epoxy.

Back