Glueing Lead to wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge Rodrigues

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking for advice on what type of glue I need to use to glue lead to wood.

I am making a snooker cue, an I have drill I deep hole in the shaft, buy which I need to insert a lead rod in it to add weight to the cue.

I have attached a picture, to show the operation I wan to do.

I think I would need 2 part epoxy glue, but not sure.

Can anybody advice me?

Thanks in advance.

Jorge

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    215 KB · Views: 255
Epoxy will get the job done just fine, I've never glued lead to wood, but I've glued solder, pewter, bronze, silver, jet, and amber to wood with no problems using epoxy.

Good luck.

Epoxy is the usual glue of choice for bonding metal to wood but you might not need to use it in this case. If the metal is captured inside the wood then actually you can get away with using PVA since you don't actually need to bond the lead to the wood but are just holding it in place. Another viable option is to use caulk, acrylic or silicone it doesn't matter.

Thank you all, I think i'll try 2 part epoxy.

Pouring melted lead in will not work, as I will not be able to determine the final weight of the cue.

You would only need to weigh it first, but it's still not practical. I use epoxy regularly, but I must admit for this I would be inclined to use polyurethane - as it expands, and would totally surround the weight. There is no way it would ever loosen and rattle.

Epoxy is a good choice. Make the hole a bit over sized so the lead fits in easily. Coat the inside of the hole with a thin layer of epoxy and give it a little time to cure. This will help seal the hole and give some epoxy a chance to saturate the wood. Then add the weight and more epoxy. Over fill the hole slightly. Epoxy shrinks as it cures.

There is no strength in the foam from PU glue, epoxy will be better in the long run.

Pete

It doesn't need strength - who's going to try to move it? You're fixing a cylinder maybe 12mm in diameter at the bottom of a maybe 13mm or 14mm hole, all that matters is that it doesn't rattle. I'm presuming the clearance is that small - it has been in the cues that I've ever looked at - and if so it would be quite hard to force epoxy around it.

Well years ago I used to work for an amusement company we had load of cheap pool cues where the weight (rebar) would work loose and fall out, there wasn't much glue used on them.
Don't forget a irate bang on the floor after a missed shot would put a lot of force on the weight.

If you poor some epoxy in the hole and push the weight in it should fill the gaps, I would aim for less than a 2mm gap that's a terrible fit.

Pete

Generally, nobody will try to take it out, but the impact of every shot will knock the weight loose.

I think I will insert some epoxy in the hole firsts, then insert the weight.

Thank you all for the valuable info.

I have found a better picture of the lead inserted itself.

It looks like epoxy?

Attachments

• Untitledc.png
    Untitledc.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 20
I found a better picture of the actual lead being inserted.

It looks like epoxy to me.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Untitledc.png
    Untitledc.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 18
I found a better picture of the actual lead being inserted.

It looks like epoxy to me.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Untitledc.png
    Untitledc.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 17
Sorry, I've been struggling to upload this, but now I have uploaded 3 by error.

Newish to the forum (In other words, user error!!!)

Latest posts

Back