Glue on mortice/tenon joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfsi

Reaction score
Quick question - I'm making an external door and need to glue the mortice and tenon joints. The joints are hand tight. I'm planning on using Extramite resin based glue. If I apply the glue to the tenon - whis is by far the easier - I'm a bit concerned it will all get scraped off when I push the tenon into the mortice, leaving only a little glue on the tenon faces. Is it better - albeit much trickier - to try and spread the glue round the inside of the mortice instead?

Thanks

Chris

I have always made doors with Cascamite, now branded Resintite. I have only ever spread the glue on the tennon, and a little bit on the wedges. Always worked fine for me.

As with Joiner-Sim but always put some glue on the mortice edges, the tenon will smear it along the mortice 'walls' as you put it together.

By hand tight do you mean that you don't have give it the good news with a big mallet? :lol:
If so, good man! The glue will do it's job. make them too tight and all the glue gets scraped off and pools out around the shoulders. Wastes glue and may cause a joint failure.

Rob.

Thanks for the tips - all glued up, seems to have worked a treat! Here's hoping it stays that way..

BTW - hand tight, yes, tenons slipped in quite snug without recourse to the No. 1 mallet..

Chris

Back