Glue line on router table - again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you ByronBlack

I did it some 10 years ago and that was "Work" not to mention the dust.
Today, at the age of 63 (in 3 months), I'm looking for more easy "machinized" method.

niki

Why not use a straight router bit and set the table split fences as a vertical plainer in and out feed so you then have a jointer but you push the timber across the table obviously capacity is a problem but ok for edge jointing

OLD":o0xaq1qr said:
Why not use a straight router bit and set the table split fences as a vertical plainer in and out feed so you then have a jointer but you push the timber across the table obviously capacity is a problem but ok for edge jointing

Like this?:

RouterFence009.jpg

Brad

Does anybody actually look at Niki's posts?The guy puts jig's and idea's on here that the best woodworker would be proud of
and he being shown how to make a straight edge on a router table give the man some credit.
byron get a grip........ a word like "slag" thats pit dust i believe, your bringing the forum down to gutter level :lol: .
Agenda what Agenda??? :?
There is good advice on here and there's bad/wrong, ok if you know which is which or if you double check.

Andy, so not only do you seem to have a problem with some of the members advice of safety, but you also have an issue with vocabulary, good going sport!

Also, as an aside, I don't see anyone putting Niki down for his efforts, like i said, if you could be bothered to do a search and read more of Niki's posts, you'll find that most people are appreciative and positive towards most of his jigs/idea's, this happens not to be one of them, and hence people are offering advice on how to achieve a result in a safer and more practical way.

I don't see you contributing anything positive towards the thread apart from willing someone on with a technique that is quite dangerous, but then I guess you dont care much for that as we are just a bunch of people who are scared of chain-saws aren't we!

You can respond if you want but I don't really care, i'll be leaving this thread as I need to go find a grip that you kindly suggested I get.

andycktm":1xjlob07 said:
Does anybody actually look at Niki's posts?
Yes, which is why I personally try to give a critique from a wood machinist's technical perspective as opposed to just a gut reaction. If you choose to share your ideas in a relatively interactive public forum such as this then by default you are inviting some form of response, both positive and negative. Some of Niki's ideas are very interesting whilst others are on the edge (or over it) of what is safe practice. Nothing wrong with that as long as people are aware of where the boundary is and more importantly why the line is drawn there so they can make an informed decision

andycktm":1xjlob07 said:
But you're dealing with many people who think it dangerous to even look at a chainsaw let alone use one!
There is a world of difference between doing something yourself which ignores basic safety constraints and advertising it to the world as a good way to proceed. In a recent discussion I had with the editor of a woodworking periodical I found it interesting to hear someone else, with a very different perspective to me, talking about American authors'/publishers' scant regard for basic safety with woodworking machines and the apparent "blind leading the blind" approach of untutored amateur woodworkers following the leads of equally untutored authors (which I took to be a tilt at American woodworking titles). I've encountered staff at the HSE who feel similarly inclined, although in a relatively free country like ours they are of course powerless to comment publicly, let alone intervene. Don't get me wrong there is a vibrance in some American magazines which is not found elesewhere, but there is also a profound ignorance of what is dangerous and injurious. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Perhaps I could leave you with a comment I had from an engineer friend some years ago, "Woodworkers are as bright as a box of rocks, they have to be to work so close to all that spinning sharp metal with almost no personal protection"........ :roll:

Scrit

Sheeesh Niki....I'm a little amazed that your messing around with this when one can build a horizontal router table(in a weekend), use a standard trim bit & trim the glue line the same as you would if using a planer(read that in North American terms as a jointer). In addition, this type of router table allows you to raise panels with the panel lying flat & using vertical panel bits which due to 1" dia. allows use of lower hp routers, simplifies machining sliding dovetails(Ive made them up to 4 ft.long), excellent control of cuttings with simply a shop vac., etc., etc. To say nothing of being very safe to use.Please don't take this as harsh, I enjoy seeing many of your inovative activities & am full of admiration for the ideas that you have come up with.....besides you are a darn sight better woodworker than Iam.

Lee

Back