Glue for brass to wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd use 2 part epoxy - araldite or similar. leave the wood untreated for best adhesion and scratch the inside of the ferrule to give a surface key.

Making the assumption that it is a round ferrule and it is for a tool handle to stop the wood splitting I would make it a tight and very slight taper fit ,when fitting the tang of the tool make that a good tight fit ,when driven together the relative expansion should lock them together without glue, then with a punch indent the ferrule, see comercially fitted units.as above for glue if required,Hth
Chris

Hi we still don't know what the end use of the ferrule is, for a cue tight taper and glue will work for both, impact loading on both if cue or chisel,

If it's for a tool-handle ferrule then just a drop of superglue might suffice but if you need it to withstand repeated shocks then epoxy is your man.

5-minute stuff is more than sufficient. And no need to spend on a big brand either, 151 or Poundland's range work just as well IME.

Rosinante,

I am wanting to add a brass ferule to a snooker cue tip.(I would add a picture, but I don't know how)

The recess in the shaft will not be tapperd.

Also where can a get some 2 part?

Cheers

Hi

The application you describe will experience repeated shock loading which will break the bond of both superglue and epoxy - for this sort of application I'd use hot melt glue - put a blob in the tip socket, heat the tip to melt the glue and fit to the cue.

Regards Mick

I'm confident that superglue for gluing the tip on is ok, I've been doing for years, and I know cue maker use it too.

Not sure about the ferrule though.

Back