Glasgow School of Art

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant that too, obviously :-(

The library in particular was quite stunning:

glasgow-school-art-library

Last bulletin I heard:

(90% of the structure saved. 70% of the fixtures, fittings and furniture rescued. )
All the same it's a crying shame. Some of the RM chairs were a bit uncomfortable (to me at least), but his regimented designs suited my 'puritan' nature.

The Telegraph this morning is reporting that, although much of the building has been 'saved' the library has gone. I'd be interested to know what the insurance position is -- how do you adequately insure something like that?

I wonder if they could organise the fine furniture making community in collaboration, to make a replica? We have people in the UK working to an amazing standard, some even on this list. One hopes the original drawings are safe in a vault somewhere, and the library in particular must be one of the most photographed rooms of its type in the world, so plans could be drawn up if they didn't already exist.

Of course you'd have to include other master craftsmen too, such as blacksmiths and workers in stained glass.

What a story it would be: British craftsmen pull together to restore an icon...

Eric The Viking":rg1akq4r said:

Hi

A bit like the Windsor Castle restoration project - no reason whatsoever why it can't be achieved and I'm pretty confident it will be.

Regards Mick

None of the big public buildings have rebuilding insurance. It is much cheaper to self insure than to pay premiums year after year(councils do this as well). Can you imagine trying to get quotes to cover a building such as the art school etc. The premiums would run into millions a year and there be various stipulations/clauses such as dirty big sprinklers everywhere which would have totally spoiled the aesthetics of the building. Granted, that fire sprinklers may have saved the fabric of the building, but as Muriel Gray said what would have happened if they had gone off in a false alarm!. How much would have been destroyed then? At least nobody was killed or injured, that's the important bit.

Spindle":3aki4vmr said:
Eric The Viking":3aki4vmr said:

Hi

A bit like the Windsor Castle restoration project - no reason whatsoever why it can't be achieved and I'm pretty confident it will be.

Regards Mick

You're right, of course, but the Saxe Coburg Gotha family have bottomless pockets (Brenda paid, apparently), and I doubt Glasgow School of Art does.

If I was talented enough to participate (oh, I wish!), my only stipulation would be that they promised to teach actual art afterwards.

Given their recent track record, I won't be surprised if there turns out to have been an arsonist somewhere, keen to be nominated for next year's Turner prize... :shock:

There's still lots of crafts people around in the UK - I've visited a number of NT houses that have been expertly restored.

Rod

Eric The Viking":7cizfrei said:
but the Saxe Coburg Gotha family have bottomless pockets (Brenda paid, apparently

Hi

Apparently Brenda only stumped up 2m of the 36.5m total.

CRM is one of Glasgow's greatest draws - I'm sure the restoration will happen.

If only I had the skills to take part :cry:

Regards Mick

Spindle":3vttilej said:
Eric The Viking":3vttilej said:
but the Saxe Coburg Gotha family have bottomless pockets (Brenda paid, apparently

Hi

Apparently Brenda only stumped up 2m of the 36.5m total.

CRM is one of Glasgow's greatest draws - I'm sure the restoration will happen.

If only I had the skills to take part :cry:

Regards Mick

Happy to sit corrected on that one!

There's more developing about this story - "fire protection due for an upgrade" apparently.

No s**t Sherlock...

Back