Gigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I took SWMBO to see the Arctic Monkeys at the MEN Arena last night. First gig i've been to in about 18 years.

:shock:

UNBELEIVABLE.

Not just the group (yes, I know they may not be to everybodys taste), but the experience as well. The best night out we've had in ages. We're definitely going to go on a more regular basis.

Any members regular gig goers?

Cheers

Karl

erm I went to see Michael Jackson in 1987 at the Milton Keynes Bowl? oh and Jamiroquai in 2003 at a festival on Hyde Park?

Know what you mean tho. Jamiroquai was awesome. Not keen on crowds tho, meself. I like my personal space :lol:

Beach Boys on the beach in Adelaide........about 1980, Fleetwood Mac at Sydney, Elton John somewhere or other, Dire Straits in a hall in Leicester (and found myself having a pee into a hedge at a party next to David Knoplfer once!).....but never, ever saw Pink Floyd. Why the hell not?!

The "end-of-gigging" moment for me, though, was seeing Madness live in Finsbury Park in the early 90's I guess.......and nearly getting crushed to death in the moronic, heaving surging crowd. Got dragged out by my brother, and just by the skin of my teeth.

Mike

The Who. Ultravox. Pink Floyd - several times (sorry, Mike!). Queen. Phil Collins. All a long long time ago. Wouldn't mind seeing Madonna or Pink in concert.

RogerS":3dyquxun said:
Madonna or Pink in concert.

You dirty man! :lol:

The crowds really do put me off. It's either up front in the mosh pitt or miles back viewing moving dots on the stage with some twunt in front of you who knows every word and even sings the instrumental parts :evil:

Much nicer to watch it on DVD :whistle:

Karl
You can't beat the live music experience - it's more than just playing the cd loudly! :lol:
I gig weekly in bands - played the 100 Club in London last weekend with The Lambrettas. :wink:
Cheers
Philbretta :D

Went to see Greenday at the MEN at the end of october. It was the third time I've seen them live and I was blown away once again! The amount of preparation, rehersals and co-ordination that goes into one of these huge stadium gigs is awsome!

Massive amounts of pyrotechnics going off to split second timing, huge stage pieces and backdrops changing all the time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6NJlFOJIdY

The interaction between the band and the crowd is the best I've seen from any band. I was right up at the back (dot-watching) yet felt as if I was in a small, intimate venue.

A truely awsome band!

Queen, Marillion, Floyd, Paul Simon amongst others years ago, of recent times Madness & Bad Manners, though pogoing at my age does my back no favours :lol: :lol:

Mike[/quote]
The "end-of-gigging" moment for me, though, was seeing Madness live in Finsbury Park in the early 90's I guess.......and nearly getting crushed to death in the moronic, heaving surging crowd. Got dragged out by my brother, and just by the skin of my teeth.
Mike[/quote]

Not a problem I experienced attending a Humphrey Littleton concert in the '50's. :lol: :lol: Bloody hell, I feel old!

Not much
I saw Cliff and the Shadows at the NEC once (not my choice, but it was a good evening), similarly Elton. Both 20-odd years ago.

More recently I've been to a Blues Bros lookalike gig and several Jools concerts. Now they are good.
S

Queen four times :D .Texas.Chris D'Burgh.Cliff Richard,Bryan Ferry open air at Ragley Hall.Status Quo.The Alarm.Inxs.
Also recently saw a Abba tribute band with our youngest daughter which was also a good night.

deep purple, thin lizzy, motorhead, iron maiden, scorpions, judas priest, whitesnake, rainbow, ufo, marillion, thunder, dio, and loads more...oh and the stones, the police and cher with her-indoors

I'm with you, Wizer - can't be doing with the crowds and hanging around.

My girlfriend at the time dragged me along to see Simply Red at the London Arena - boring and crowds...

That said... The very same girlfriend's brother has his own lighting company and did the lighting for Bryan Adams at Wembley Stadium. Bryan Adams is not high on my list of bands but we had back stage passes which was great. No queues and we could come and go backstage as much as we liked.

I also was a Sidney Bechet tribute band at the 100 Club many years ago - that was great.

Didn't get to many pop concerts - I was into Jazz but a minor claim to fame is that Andy Fairweather Lowe who played in Amen Corner, lives around the corner. Still plays in gigs. You wouldn't guess he was a pop star if you met him. Having said that, I haven't met any others to compare him with!

I was having sausage and mash in my local pub the other day when a chap walked in with a guitar and started singing. Turns out it was Steve Harley. He was quite good, and seemed to really enjoy himself. Pity I had to dash off just 20 minutes into his set.......

Mike

During my youth i saw just about every punk and new wave band out there (with the exception of the Sex Pistols who were banned from everywhere!)
Saw some great bands before they were really big, U2 in Bristol with a crowd of about 600 - Bonio announced that the first time they played Bristol, nine people turned up! He asked if any of those nine were there. About 250 people put their hands up! :lol:
This year I've seen The Buzzcocks, The Damned (an all time fave band of mine!) Morrissey (massive fan of him and the Smiths, my son's middle name is Morrissey!) and a couple of weeks back I saw Motorhead once again. Must be getting old and my ears are a bit shot from seeing live gigs and wearing a Walkman at full volume for for so long as they didn't seem as loud as they used to!
My son now has similar musical tastes, so the new stuff he likes, i tend to like as well and sees as many bands as I did, and I can now borrow his CD's rather than buy them!

cheers,
Andy

Back