Gem refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard56

Established Member
Reaction score
Started today by dismantling as much as possible. I think there are only a few nuts and bolts missing.

Do you think I should dismantle the crank assembly. Can I use a pulley remover?

richard56":ehzrfp93 said:
Started today by dismantling as much as possible. I think there are only a few nuts and bolts missing.

Do you think I should dismantle the crank assembly. Can I use a pulley remover?

I'm not sure which bit you mean, but if you mean the part indicated in the photo, be careful, some of them are riveted on. My newer A1 is, but the older one isn't.

Martin.

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 990
Ahh! Sorry Martin I've not started on the A1. This is the Gem. But yes that is the part.
I dismantled it all for a good clean, very rusty.
I need to find some grub screws too. Would the thread be Whitworth?

Me again.
I would appreciate your knowledge to identify a part.
I'm not sure if this is off the Gem.
It's the piece on the left roughly triangular plate with the wingnut.
uploadfromtaptalk1375520470824.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375520470824.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375520470824.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 912
hi guys , martin the little shaft that you are pointing to in your picture that is threaded and secures the connecting pice of wood to the lower arm I know it is threaded but is it rivet or will it undo I had a little go at trying to turn it to take of to clean some paint of but it didn't seem to be unwinding ? looks like it has been taken of for painting before .... any ideas ??

mark

Mark, I just checked mine and the older one is screwed on, the newer one is riveted. It's possible you have a riveted one which has come loose, allowing it to spin. If it's obviously threaded but still just spinning, one or both of the screwthreads has had it. There's a few ways it can be repaired.

Martin.

Thank you for the offer Martin, I may need it. Although my local hardware knows a place that does them. All the old threads and imperial sizes.
If it is not too cheeky, if I can't do it myself can you drill a hole through two small screws to make some blade clamps please?

richard56":115hdlye said:
Thank you for the offer Martin, I may need it. Although my local hardware knows a place that does them. All the old threads and imperial sizes.
If it is not too cheeky, if I can't do it myself can you drill a hole through two small screws to make some blade clamps please?
Yes, of course. If there's something I'm not short of, it's spare time. :)

Back