Gardening power equipment - multitools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Years ago a colleague gave me a hand clearing the end part of my mother's garden that was overgrown with blackberries and other shrubs. He brought a garden multitool with him that consisted of a two stroke motor along with attachments for hedge cutting, chainsawing and strimming. I've no idea of the make of the equipment.

I've been looking for something similar but all the multitools I can find only seem to have a small pruning chainsaw on a long pole and a hedge trimmer on a long pole as well.

Does anyone know of a multitool that has a 'normal' chainsaw and hedge cutting attachement - not ones on the end of extension poles.

Also any makes to look at or avoid.

Misterfish

The tools or attachments are smaller because of the weight, the main selling point is reaching higher and not having step ladders etc in the garden.
As with all tools, If you buy a decent make you will usually benefit in the long run
I normally buy Stihl and a 170 12" chainsaw was recently selling for around £120..new.
And a stihl strimmer with brush cutter head upwards of £160..
Or buy a stihl combi, and add to it when the attachments are needed, buying them separately.
Whatever you do, keep away from the sheds and cheaper stuff as you will be lucky to get a seasons work out of any of it.
Regards Rodders

+1 for the stihl, I have the strimmer brushcutter head with the strimmer attachment and the hedgecuutter as I have a lot of hedge to cut

Yes - I'd certainly buy an acknowledged good make like Stihl. I already have a decent strimmer with an additional brushcutter blade so am looking for a hedgetrimmer and chainsaw. The thing is I was hoping to get versions of chainsaw and hedge cutter that can be use close in as well as alternatives that can be used on extensions.

Thanks

Misterfish

All I can recommend is the Stihl hs45 hedge trimmer and the Stihl 170 chain saw.
When you compare prices of the Stihl Combi, each item is similar to a stand alone saw, trimmer,etc in price, so you
need to look around for a deal.
These "combi" units are good for what they are designed for but really make you ache as they are a bit ungainly.
These are on "special" from time to time in the bigger agricutural outlets, they literally buy a lorry load and discount out.
I'm not aware of anything that will fit you're multi use idea.
Regards Rodders

For our allotment site I bought a Husqvarna 3 in 1 set as you describe, 128LDX plus polesaw and hedgecutter heads.
The hedgecutter (not to be mistaken with a hedge trimmer) will go through 20mm branches easily and the polesaw handles the bigger branches.
There is a 1 metre extension pole for the hedgecutter but we don't use it, it is ungainly unless cutting directly above you.
I was also told that you cut hedge for about 10 minutes then clear up for 20 minutes - it gives you time to recover.

The strimmer is the default tool, used to trim grass around plots.

Had it all for 3 years, used by a number of people and we have had no trouble, starts first time every time.
It is serviced annually, as required by the Parish Council Insurers.

I'm sure Stihl is just as good but I liked the weight and balance of the Husqvarna set.

P.S. This year we have bought a second Husqvarna strimmer and it is L-ion powered. It is fantastic, almost the same power level as the petrol one but no yearly maintenance - except PAT test on the charger. Apparently battery is the way to go for the future. Batteries are £200 for a 4 Amp hour one but they swap between all the tools so may be cost effective for you

David

Back