Garden Table Top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how time flies, a couple of years ago we were given six garden chairs and a table. The table top was round and huge, and was all one piece. I have a Berlingo and wouldn't fit in the back, so we left the top and I told our lass I'd make one. Wasn't keen on the round one anyway! Last year I was given ten oak board lengths by a local timber yard. Not sure if these boards had been used as part of a crate or something along those lines, they're made up of small pieces of timber and finger joints. The boards were about 1.8 metres long with a hole at each end. Anyway, I finally got round to making the new table top, turns out according to our lass we have had the base for nearly FIVE years :oops: Still, better late than not at all :lol:

I wasn't sure how to join it all together, haven't made anything this big before. I used eight boards for the top and the other two for went underneath at the ends.
I glued these which were held in place with a nail gun and then popped a screw in one each.

Here it is all finished, and I've given it four/five coats of Teak oil.

The centre cross sections were to keep all the boards level in the middle, but for these to fit I had to cut in to the frame
of the base. The two outer sections were then screwed to the sides of the base frame. Hope all that makes sense.
Forgot to say, I used 3 mm birch ply spacers in between the planks which were glued in to place.

A close up showing a bit of grain :D

At least our lass loves it and she said it was worth waiting for. Just need to make a pergola now for it to sit under!

Cinimod":36oai6qd said:
All things come to he who waits Pete.
Looks very nice and all it needs are good friends and a glass of something.........dom

Thanks Dom :) I'm sure our lass will enjoy a glass of wine or two! And once the pergola is up she can grow lots of climbing and hanging things :D

Back