Garden Storage Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
Desperate to find more storage for garden stuff without it migrating into the workshop.

Trawling google for ideas I happened across this,

outdoor-storage-bench.jpg

_benches-gsb-3e.jpg

I'm sure I can improve the esthetics but as basis I like what I see, simple to build and affords a decent amount of open storage.

Only thing I'm not desperately keen on is the visible hinges on the leading edge. So any body any ideas as to how I can hinge without them being visable but without too much encrouchment on the interior space? I know there is a solution but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Must be hinged to tilt forward as it will sit against the outside of my workshop. Nice place for a quiet cigar and to contemplate I thought.

Attachments

• _benches-gsb-3e.jpg
    _benches-gsb-3e.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,392
  • outdoor-storage-bench.jpg
    outdoor-storage-bench.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,392
Hi Richard
Thats going to be a bit awkward hinged at the front ,with the seat and back right in the way when getting stuff in and out. What about hinges at the back of the seat base only and the base will rest against the back when lifted up out of the way. Hope this makes sense to you.

Cheers Bern

I was thinking about something similar recently.

How about a fixed seat with a deep, full extension drawer in the front instead?

Perhaps keep the seat removable, capable of being lifted off, just incase anything gets stuck.

What on earth? I'm with Bern on this - simply make the seat part hinged, easy to do and no other issues.

+1 for hinging the seat only. I have never seen it done any other way (well until this OP). I would be worried about drawer runners rusting.

DT

Ok so we hinge the seat, but I quite like the idea of drawers, although stainless steel runners are a bit pricey.

With the hinge option the only drawerback I see is making the box "watertight". Sure it can be done but I'd like to keep the construction as simple as possible. What attracted me to the design initially was that the box would be pretty watertight and I would be happy to put the mower strimmer etc in there.

fluffflinger":2xr3g5qg said:
Ok so we hinge the seat, but I quite like the idea of drawers, although stainless steel runners are a bit pricey.

With the hinge option the only drawerback I see is making the box "watertight". Sure it can be done but I'd like to keep the construction as simple as possible. What attracted me to the design initially was that the box would be pretty watertight and I would be happy to put the mower strimmer etc in there.

Under the hinge position, fit a small aluminium U channel about 20mm wide and about 6mm deep to act as a gutter and finish it flush with the ends of the bench.

Back