garden bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
This project is for myself. the brief is cheap and straightforward!

I started off with 2 pieces of sandstone, purchased from the local garden centre for £5 each. They are non-standard in size, compared to any that I saw online but by chance were exactly what I was looking for 410x600.

The bench will be dug into the ground, and will stand about 450mm high to the top of the seat.

The sleeper was the best of a bad lot that was available in Leeds on the Thursday before Easter. Howarth timber had a pile of black slimy ones, jewsons had none, so I had to pay top price from Arnold Laver. It isn't bad- it is specced for landscaping, so I cannot be too demanding! It saved having to drive far though, because Lavers is next to work and the other alternative was 15 miles each way away. I got lavers to cut it so that it would go into the car, and didn't cause me issues unloading it on my own.

I started by looking at the timber to choose the best face for the top, and the best faces for the outside. sawhorses made everything a comfortable height to work from.
bench 1.jpg

I could have/should probably have just ran it through the thicknesser, but that involved getting the thing out and lugging a 20kg lump through it. So I hit it with some course grit on the ROS. I bought some 24grit for the purpose, but it didn't eat through it like I had hoped. The primary purpose was to get rid of the worst of the grime and sharp edges, and make it a bit friendlier on the hands to handle. It didn't take too long. I turned the underside so that it was facing up to cut the housing for the legs.
bench cleaned.jpg

I measured my slabs and used the track saw to cut the housing slot. I cleaned up the bottom a bit with a chisel, which didn't take much. One side is a mm or two loose, so I may need to wedge it if that causes a problem. I suspect that it won't.

I fitted the legs to test, and having done so assembled it right side up.
bench legs fitted.jpg
bench mid point.jpg

I want a bench that doesn't look too basic, so thought that I would add some "carving". I was going to carve in the shape of a seat base, but it is beyond my skill level, and I want the bench to be double facing- having planted the borders, hopefully I can sit and look at them sometimes! so I found a design on the net which gave me an idea. I decided to make a couple of simple bum shapes, with a flat bit in between for a cup of coffee.

I started with doing some depth guides with the track saw, then cleaning with a chisel. An arbotec disc would have been ideal here, but I don't have one and they are a bit much for a single project. I hoped that the 24 grit would help here, but it wasn't great. the coarsest abranet I have is 80 grit which is not ideal either. with the trash saw, the chisel, and the ROS, I have managed to get one side almost done. It needs some further refining, because it is a bit rustic still. I have torn some grain/chunks out, and chasing that may be more hassle than is needed for a rustic bench. As long as it is smooth, it will be functional. The whole thing will need a good sanding down anyway because when cleaning it up, some sawmill marks remained. This is a pic of it in its final place, just to see how it would look.
bench shaped.jpg

Next weekend, I hope to do the other side. I have done the tracks depth marks, and done a bit of chiseling but I ran out of time.

I am still undecided on a finish, if any.

Attachments

• bench 1.jpg
    bench 1.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 1,245
  • bench cleaned.jpg
    bench cleaned.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • bench legs fitted.jpg
    bench legs fitted.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 1,246
  • bench mid point.jpg
    bench mid point.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 1,246
  • bench shaped.jpg
    bench shaped.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,246
not as such. I sat on it assembled, but didn't test it in anger.

do you have concerns?

if it fails, I will have to get some slate or come up with another plan.

The slabs don’t look very thick to me and could break at the joint due to bending.

Rod

If thats the slabs in the slots in picture three, I wouldnt trust them. One wet winter followed by two medium large people sitting on top and the slightest sideways movement.

Just to check, you do know what sandstone is made of?...........
:D

Don't listen to the naysayers. In the 1970s my old fella regularly filled up his cortina with sandstone when there was a petrol crisis.
Worked fine.
The crucial thing is scientific extrapolation on testing results. In this day and age you need to to be aware of health and safety. That goes without saying.
A standard HSE test is to sit your mother in law on it. If it doesn't break immediately then add weight till it does.
That will teach her.

they are 32mm thick. I will test it with the mother in law in the first instance, and after each winter...

I have the slabs now, so may as well continue. If it breaks, I will have to work on plan B.

straight down weight, it will easily hold a couple people even giant economy sized ones.
But a sideways action on a thinnish slab is not so good.

A triangular bracket at each end, fixed only to the underside of the bench top would not be perfect but would help to limit/prevent racking, and would be mostly hidden unless you fitted a pair at each end.

Bm101":1h7djltm said:
A standard HSE test is to sit your mother in law on it. If it doesn't break immediately then add weight till it does.
That will teach her.

You never cease to amaze me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhh, Dave I can't claim credit for that I'm afraid. It was blatantly nicked from Bill Watterson mate. Genius.

7q8Ng4V.gif

If you have never read Calvin and Hobbes here's a few brief instances of Calvin's Dad explaining Science. :D It's even better when you have your own kids. :wink:
http://www.s-anand.net/blog/calvin-and- ... s-science/

Joking aside (and back on topic), I wouldn't trust that sandstone for a second Marcros. Lets get all dynamic for a second.
If you weight tested statically it it would be fairly strong I'm guessing. You could probably pile on a good amount of weight before it gave, especially if you faced the top side square with a grinder etc.
I'd be concerned that even if you doubled the slabs at each end, in practice (real life) shear weight is dynamic. It becomes about forces. The bench is top heavy. I guesstimate you might topple that with a running kick.
I like the look and the idea. Personally I'd face all the edges on the slabs it will look better, drop the height a little(so it was better supported) and use evenly spaced slabs all the way along the bench maybe what 10" or so apart?
I think you will have a one off bench that is structurally sound and looks absolutely mustard.
Love the general idea of it maybe just needs a bit of refinement?
Just an idea.
Bit of extra work, £20 quid tops in materials and you've nailed it.

An extra slab or two positioned perpendicular to the others I think would help with the racking issue. Maybe placed on the back corners so they're less visible from the front.

Back