G.W. again.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Extract from a book I am reading, "Childre... of the dar"

In 1787.

Boreholes were sunk near the outcrop and ten yards below the surface a 4ft high seam was discovered. A second black band of coal of around the same height was found twentyfive yards deeper and at 86 yards a third seam revealed itself. On hundred and forty eight yards below the surface a further 30" seam was discovered. Each on top of the other and running a NW to SW direction at the outskirts of Wakefield. (Yorks)

I make that four lots of global warming without mans intervention

So I assume it will happen again even if we didnt light another match.

Global warming... with all that snow we've had... :lol: ............
and they say we're due more.... :? .....

Take care. David..

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-k [-o<

Mike - take a deep breath and try not to harm yourself or others.

DW - like mike said last time , its a good idea to at least have some rudimentary clue what the issue is about before posting on it.

It is no suprise or secret that the climate has changed before - everyone knows that - the issue is about the acceleration of climate change by the relatively sudden release of a lot of sequestered carbon.

so what you think the existence of these seams proves is beyond me.

Moosey

I appreciate DW is just trying a wind up but whether he knows it or not there is a point - did you realise that exposed coal seams emmit vast amounts of methane??

This "fact" just might save the UK from the power outs we will be getting any time soon.

Me - I agree we need to stop burning sequestered Carbon but thus so far am underwelmed about proposals to how its achieved.

Certainly when it comes to the crunch no one will make the sacrifice
A few power outages & I promise all the armchair environmentalists will be screaming for the coal power stations to be switched back on.

devonwoody":20n4r6sl said:
Extract from a book I am reading, "Childre... of the dar"

In 1787.

Boreholes were sunk near the outcrop and ten yards below the surface a 4ft high seam was discovered. A second black band of coal of around the same height was found twentyfive yards deeper and at 86 yards a third seam revealed itself. On hundred and forty eight yards below the surface a further 30" seam was discovered. Each on top of the other and running a NW to SW direction at the outskirts of Wakefield. (Yorks)

I make that four lots of global warming without mans intervention

So I assume it will happen again even if we didnt light another match.

What on earth are you talking about? Why has finding coal got anything whatsoever to do with bouts of global warming?

Mike

I was told when I was a little boy that tropical forests grew and formed coal, and those teachers were educated by scientists to teach that subject.

Perhaps those scientists were wrong and only the modern ones are right.

devonwoody":2w2c5lbz said:
I was told when I was a little boy that tropical forests grew and formed coal, and those teachers were educated by scientists to teach that subject.

Perhaps you only listened selectively, or haven't followed any science discoveries since. Coal was formed by rainforsets, and typically but not exclusively in the tropics.

Unfortunately, you seem to overlooked the fact that our little slice of the planet is floating around like all the rest, and spent a huge part of its history within the tropics. As did Antarctica, incidentally. At least twice in the planet's history the entirety of dry land was in one great big lump. That one lump (Gondwanaland and Pangea at different times, I believe) was mainly in the tropics. It broke up and the bits are still shifting around today. Hardly surprising that we have a bit of coal.

Now, take you ignorance, and your great big wooden spoon, and go and do some reading before you post again on things you just don't understand.

Mike :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mike - take a deep breath and try not to harm yourself or others.
Too late Pete!

If we had GW before and it wasn't caused by man and this time we get GW again but accelerated by man perhaps it will be a different and beneficial warming this time and the outcome might be a better earth.

devonwoody":1ayt4pe3 said:

Well it wouldn't be the first time (nor I suspect, the last)

Flat earth anyone?

devonwoody":1ecvgxw8 said:
If we had GW before and it wasn't caused by man and this time we get GW again but accelerated by man perhaps it will be a different and beneficial warming this time and the outcome might be a better earth.

Not if you are in Bangladesh, parts of India, Malaysia or the Maldives...

devonwoody":28l8b1q8 said:

Perhaps they were right and you didn't understand them. Tropical forests don't 'form coal', but the plants are transformed, over very long periods of time, into fossil fuels.
Coal and oil are formed where biomatter is compressed, over geological time periods. What are you reading that says different?

dont_believe_AGW.jpg

Back