Fuel in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest predictions based on the Hubbert model say that the peak of global oil production will occur in around 2008, although we won't actually know about it until it's happened. After that, all bets are off as to oil prices, but the word "exponential" will no doubt start being used a lot more often. Given that about 60% of the global population is being propped up by fossil fuels (in the form of fertiliser and pesticides), the last thing we'll be worrying about is how expensive it is to fill up our SUVs. Before you put me in the "loony tree hugger" category, do a little research for yourself - there's plenty of hard evidence for this; just google for Hubbert, "peak oil", etc. Just spend a spare half hour reading about this - what have you got to lose? I used to think it was all nonsense too, but the evidence is quite overwhelming, and our governments are doing nothing to protect us from the inevitable consequences. It should really open your eyes on Iraq too. :cry:

Premium unleaded around my way is about 80 pence per litre (cheapest) - and the price is the same whatever vehicle you put it in! The 'posh' stuff for the 'posh' cars is about 87 pence - but they are still only permitted to do up to 60 m.p.h.!

Cheers,

Trev.

I pay around £10 - £12 a gallon because of Company Car Tax.
I only do about 4000 miles a year, but the tax is levied on £3,666 for what the governement calls 'free fuel' !!!!!!

Stefan

I remember 60mph... them were the days... downhill..... tailwind... HGV inches from my azz... white knuckle job on the steerin wheel...

felt less scared jumpin outa helicopters.......sheeshhhhh.....

Hi, Roger,

Yep, but there's just one stretch of 70 mph dual-carriageway, about 300 yards long, within a radius of about 30 miles from my home! Otherwise it's just ordinary A roads and country lanes - heaven! :D :D Haven't seen a traffic jam here in the last ten years - bit different to when I lived 3 miles from the M.25. :evil:

Mike,

Many years ago, at Headcorn in Kent, I parachuted for fun. :roll: - marvellous, exciting, :D but would I do it now? No way - daft thing to do to go up thousands of feet and jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft! :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

Many years ago, at Headcorn in Kent, I parachuted for fun. - marvellous, exciting, but would I do it now? No way - daft thing to do to go up thousands of feet and jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft!
but Trev- thats what planes were built for JUMPING OUTTA FROM :D

I too did a parachute jump a while back- one of the most exhilarating things you can try. Feels like you're floating, not falling before the 'chute opens :lol:

Travis":wic2lj0f said:
On another note--I have a turbo on my diesel. Does that count for anything

Travis - not on a Hummer, which is I believe the required vehicle for all US citizens now. :D

Trev":wic2lj0f said:
Haven't seen a traffic jam here in the last ten years

When were you last in Hereford? Its shockingly bad! :evil:

The only part of parachuting thats dangerous is the last half an inch or so.

Also never forget that whichever plane you are in, the manufacturer probably won the contract based on the lowest price :shock:

T

We have a house in Massachusetts and the price there last month for regular (87 octane) was from $1.87 to $1.93 a US gallon. At my local in the UK, I pay 78.9p/ltr for regular (95 oct) for the beemer and 82.9p for premium (98 oct) for the Bentley Turbo (Yes John, I really have got one! :D ).

Given that the Bentley averages almost 20mpg (and 25 on a run unless I 'go for it'), that's about 16mpg in US terms, which is actually far better than the SUV I used to own over there in 1999.. No comparison! Not even in the snow, where the Bentley performs surprisingly well - as long as you don't put your foot down and unleash those 500+ horses 8)

However, isn't cost per mile a better indicator? On that scale, the BMW costs me about 67p per mile and the Bentley 72p. My wife's Saxo comes in at 52p, and my BMW motorcycle at 62p (that's because of the comparatively low annual mileage - petrol is only a small part of the total cost even though the bike does 55mpg!) . My SUV came in at almost 80p a mile (converted from dollars) which surprised me -- very high depreciation was the main contributor at $16,700 over 3 1/2 years. So, our colonial cousins don't really have it cheaper, even though their 'gas' prices seem to be low. I haven't worked out what my son-in-law's F150 cost him, but it did 8mpg and depreciated $8,000 in less than a year :roll:

Nice gloat Brian - and a proper drive by one at that :lol: :lol:

Philly, take note - if Brian can get away with having a Bentley Turbo and his wife has a Saxo then tool purchase permission is clearly no longer necessary. :lol: :lol:

BTW I use to be a navigator in the RN. The Ark Royal does 6 inches to the gallon at full whack (although boringly I'm not allowed to tell you what that is - but you could easily waterski behind it, long rope required!!).

Cheers

Tim

tool purchase permission is clearly no longer necessary
I think I must be rather unique in this forum as SWMBO actively encourages tool purchases. She realises the personal benefits they can bring to her, both in her work as an artist and around the home.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :!: :!:

The Ark Royal does 6 inches to the gallon at full whack

That's equates to just over 1,000,000 gallons per 100 miles. Surprised theres any room on board for anything but fuel tank!!

Ike":2533dx44 said:
That's equates to just over 1,000,000 gallons per 100 miles. Surprised theres any room on board for anything but fuel tank!!

Not too far from the truth - basically the tanks sit between the inner and outer hulls and it displaces with seawater during consumption to prevent loss of stability.

Needless to say you don't do full speed for very long - not least 'cos you'd chip your teeth on anything other than a millpond but I've known it when we've refuelled every couple of days! :shock:

T

Latest posts

Back