French workshop century ago (plus bikes)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love these old images. Moments frozen in time forever. Fascinating :)

Check out the Roubo bench. The top looks to be just about 4'' if that and not the 5 or more modern builders strive for. Wood would have cost money even back then so no need to over do things.
Regards
John

Some interesting photos from a snappy-dressing cabinet-maker-turner also much interested in racing bikes and family life - all of interest to some on this forum, including myself.

and how about that 6 seater sports-utility-vehicle

www.bernardmoncet.fr/les-annees-1900-1920
Nice little collection, like the guys woodworking, looks like the have half a leg vice on that bench. Then the guy sat leaning on a ladder with a dog, look at the tree, is that another trying to appear?

I'm glad you like these -- thought people would pick up on the Ruobo-type bench - yes, slightly thinner top than some aim for - waney edged (like my hybrid bench) - but thick legs for stability and trad joint is also pinned/pegged, I think also smaller than often pictured - has to fit two benches (maitre and apprenti) plus lathe and finishing bench into his shop. Planes are French single iron equivalent of the UK wooden jointer etc, but saws quite different - turning, ripping, cross, and a smaller tenon are all frame saws - anyone here use such?
The curves being worked on look like typical French wardrobe or bed etc.

Turning - chisels have shorter than today's handles, but a useful set there.

Anyone tell us about those bikes - look like those from the early days of la Grande Boucle (Tour de France) and/or tracks of the time? Also good solid curvy bikes for the fit-looking women (have to be to ride in skirt and bonnet).

Last edited:
I love them, what quality photos, and the bench is just what Im looking to make, small and narrow, I wouldn't have thought ablout keeping the live edge on the backside and the way the legs are fitted,,very useful indeed. Its just nit picking I know but some of the cycle photos are reproduced in reverse,,

Back