Frame fixings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
has anyone used frame fixings, the ones with a long wrawl plugs, if so whats the best way to use them?

If possible pre-drill the frame for the fixings - try to make sure that your fixings are going to go into solid masonry rather than mortar, and make sure to avoid where the hinges, lock plate, door closers, etc are going to go. Position the through the frame in the hole. Drill through the frame with an SDS hammer drill for the first fixing and clean out the hole properly. Make sure that the hole is deep enough and that it is cleaned out properly! Push the fixing into the hole as far as it will go, pack the frame out as required then smack sharply with a hammer to knock level, protecting the timber with an offcut if necessary. Level the frame and repeat on the other side. Then proceed with the rest of the fixings. Large exterior door frames I give three per side to and two at the top unless it's a steel lintel.

Scrit

ok, do i need to counter sink the hole, as they have pretty big heads?>

Sorry, yes, but only a little bit. In softwood frames which are to be painted you can generally just sink the bulbous end of the drill bit into the frame itself as part of the drilling and miss out the countersinking. In hardwood frames I always think it looks better if you bore out for a plug first before you drill the frame and plug off and trim at the end (assuming the frame is thick enough). Just make sure you put a turn or two on with the cordless driver before plugging and trimming (i.e. make sure it's good and snug - you may need a pin punch or engineer's parallel drift to achieve this down a hole). Whatever you do take care not to pull the frame out of square.

Scrit

Spot on as usual from Scrit...

As a last note, I always, if possible leave the last fixing (top leading edge, opposite the hinges) until after iv'e hung the door.

I check the close of the door to make sure its all flush, adjust that top edge if required and then drill the hole into the brick (frame drilled with the others) and fix firmly.

You would be suprised that even when you made both the door and the frame they are still a fraction out.....

Either that or I just make shoddy goods....

Marky

Marky":2u51ltr0 said:
You would be suprised that even when you made both the door and the frame they are still a fraction out.....

Marky

No Marky it is not just you. I made a smashing door and frame for my workshop. Fitted the frame with lots of care - all plumb and square. Then I hung the door and found it had a twist of about 1/2" on one diagonal.
Now had I have known that I could have fitted the frame with a similar twist.

C'est la vie

Bob

Back