Forum Members Ultimate Handtool Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony":32vq343j said:
Ultiamte hadn tool kit for me?

Easy

The entire LN catalogue (except their screwdrivers, spokeshaves and shoulder planes). Their saws, planes and chisels are second to none in my opinion.

I would have the LV shoulder planes and spokeshaves though

So what is wrong with the LN shoulder planes and spokeshaves? Or the screwdrivers if money is not a problem?

Sean

Ultimate tool kit....now theres a question for tool nuts

marking device...eg pencil or knife
LN saws..all of them
Holtey 98 smoother...with a tight mouth
Holtey 14 1/2 version 98 ...with a slightly bigger mouth.
Holtey 11-S for the knarly stuff...also used as a scraper with the blade reversed
veritas mk11 power sharperner
LN la block
Stanley 750 chisels full set with retrofitted handles. long and short
scrapers
engineers squares
home made panel plane
a decent hammer...does anyone make a decent hammer
homemade marking guage
LV spokeshaves

is that 15...gosh this is fun and not easy

I

:)

Glad ya'll like the thread, I thought it would be a bit of fun!

Alf - I didn't notice the brace and bits, but I suppose a drill bit set could class as one tool, whereas a chisel is a more substantial item so would have to count as one - crappy argument I know, but a bit of flexiibility has to come in from somewhere!!

With the tool kit, you could make a workbench/stool, shooting board, mitre box etc..

What's people concensus on marking guages? Bog standard, or something similar to a tite-mark? Or I suppose if you were to take it to another degree, a marking guage could be excluded from the kit, and simply made..

Sean the amateur":1ytzq7pf said:
Tony":1ytzq7pf said:
Ultiamte hadn tool kit for me?

Easy

The entire LN catalogue (except their screwdrivers, spokeshaves and shoulder planes). Their saws, planes and chisels are second to none in my opinion.

I would have the LV shoulder planes and spokeshaves though

So what is wrong with the LN shoulder planes and spokeshaves? Or the screwdrivers if money is not a problem?

Sean

Much as I love LN planes and own a 'few', the LV shoulder planes are better with innovative design feature. I want the best tool, not the nameplate. I already bought the LV in preference.

The LN range of spokeshaves is limited and the set of 3 from LV cut equally well (i have a couple) and are perfectly OK for my ultimate kit.

I hate wooden handled scredrivers :lol:

Hello everyone,

Probably not the easiest thread for a kick-off, I'll just give it a try...

ByronBlack":341nlkea said:
:)

Glad ya'll like the thread, I thought it would be a bit of fun!

Alf - I didn't notice the brace and bits, but I suppose a drill bit set could class as one tool, whereas a chisel is a more substantial item so would have to count as one - crappy argument I know, but a bit of flexiibility has to come in from somewhere!!

What's people concensus on marking guages? Bog standard, or something similar to a tite-mark? Or I suppose if you were to take it to another degree, a marking guage could be excluded from the kit, and simply made..

Since Alf's chisel set didn't make it on the short list, I was wondering, is there anyone actually owning (and/or using) a single marking gauge, be it a Tite-mark or not? And mind you, I am a minimalism fan...

Best wishes,
Alex

aqualex":2q9pd9kg said:
Hello everyone,

Probably not the easiest thread for a kick-off, I'll just give it a try...
Best wishes,
Alex[/quote]
Welcome Alex!

Maybe not the easiest thread to introduce yourself, but perhaps a fun one!

If I had to limit myself to a single marking gauge, I think that as much as I like my Titemark, it would be a vintage Disston mortise gauge I own. You know the type...easily adjustable double pins on one side and a single pin on the other.

Again, Welcome!

Take care, Mike

Welcome to the insanity, Alex. :D

Not sure I can honestly get my head around the idea of using or owning just one gauge. I like the idea of minimalism, but it comes as natural to me as a fish participating in the Tour de France... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back