Forum attitudes lately

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl":2809ai7q said:
woodbloke":2809ai7q said:
so the inclusion of 'IMO' should always be used to indicate that it's a personal viewpoint.

But surely the fact that the poster has typed it shows that it is just his/her opinion. :duno:

If I say "The best way to sharpen plane blades is using an eclipse type jig, a trend double sided diamond stone and some honing compound rubbed onto a scrap of MDF", then that is clearly My Opinion. I don't see why we need to earmark it as such.

Perhaps we should end all posts with "other methods are available" :lol:

Cheers

Karl
Karl...this is what makes it so difficult and why we need to be so careful. In context look at your statement again as a third party reading it.

"The best way to sharpen plane blades is using an eclipse type jig, a trend double sided diamond stone and some honing compound rubbed onto a scrap of MDF"

This now becomes a statement of fact, n'est pas?

I could equally write..."Excalibur saws are rubbish because...etc etc" (hackles rising? :lol: )

It is my opinion sure, but it's been expressed as a statement of fact and therein lies a lot of the problem. (Ex saws are good btw :wink: ) I know that it's a chore to word responses using 'in my view' or 'IMO' but I think if it were used more, many of the nuances that we try to explain would be a lot clearer - Rob

IMHO I take all posts as such - unless the poster is making it clear it is from another source.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions but they should express it such that it does not offend other people reading them.

Many posts which are supposed to be witty or jokes do not always come across as such - the use of emoticons can help there?

My policy is to try to ignore the threads which are "going down hill" and certainly ones where certain people are involved - IMHO they seem to enjoy making trouble? :)

And never ever loose your temper - you only come across the worse?

Rod

It's a toughy - all I can say is before you post take a deep breath and read what you've typed. If you have any doubts about posting it - don't. Come back to it later and see how you feel - the instant you take offence and retaliate we end up with some of the threads you have seen on the forum lately.
It all comes down to this - if you don't add fuel to the fire it will fizzle out.

It's not always easy being the bigger man (or woman) but its the only way to keep the forum on the straight and narrow - additional rules will only confuse things and banning "idiots" doesn't help because they love winding good folk up.

Only my thoughts...
Philly :D

Rob - if I ended my "quote" with "and anybody using any other method is a to$$er", then i'd agree.

Like you say, it is the remoteness of an internet forum which is the prime problem.

Xcaliburs fine, BTW. How's the Kity? :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Karl":1auta2xc said:
Xcaliburs fine, BTW. How's the Kity? :lol:

Cheers

Karl
Sold...being collected Sat by MickCheese. Reading about your new 'toy' with interest...looks a beast :shock: - Rob

Karl":56u0e759 said:
Scares the living daylights out of me every time I fire it up!

:lol: :lol:

The scariest saw I ever used was when I did my elfn'saftey training course on wood machines (mandatory as a D&T teacher) using a 20" Wadkin rip...scared nine shades of rubbish out of me just to look at it! - Rob

I have not been around this forum for long, but I have been around others for a very long time and even ran one for a couple of years. What I have learned from my experience is, I think (IMO :D ) we would all do well to realise, that we should "never attribute to malice anything which can be attributed to ignorance", thats something my Dad taught me and it serves me well in life in general.

What that means is that if someone has upset you, it is more likely to be accidental than on purpose, give them the benifit of doubt, this is good for harmony.

Also in my experience, if you have a real trouble maker, and that is often identifiable by turning to abuse/threats in PMs rather than on the open forum, then that person is best dealt with quickly and firmly by moderators, otherwise it just turns into bickering.

All of the above is just my opinion, of my experiences, does not constitute the opinion of anyone else and is not the only opinion available. :lol: :lol:

kasandrich":2rfs50e6 said:
What that means is that if someone has upset you, it is more likely to be accidental than on purpose, give them the benifit of doubt, this is good for harmony.

In the vast majority of cases, and esp on here, that is true. But.. there are, and have been the exceptions.
Some people delight in subtly, or not so subtly, winding up others, even going as far as targeting them, deliberately choosing to misinterpret what they say and doing their best to provoke a reaction.
Others have a beef with someone and snipe wherever possible, again to provoke a reaction.
In such situations it becomes almost impossible not to say something; at which point the provoker will act all aggrieved and claim to be the one whose been wronged, usually 'backed up' by a minority, with their own blunt axes, 'supporting' them.
It's easy to say ignore them, not so easy to do.
And yes, I am well aware that for some, maybe many, I fall into their category of 'troublemaker' because I can't ignore the 'snipers' and 'point scorers'; and why should I? Forum Harmony? How about some of those people claiming to want harmony seeing some posters for what they are rather than blindly backing them up?

Here (maybe) endeth the rant.

Karl":wi7vb0lk said:
Rob - if I ended my "quote" with "and anybody using any other method is a to$$er", then i'd agree.

thing is a few posters - and i'm not saying that you are one of them, manage to imply that via their attitude and unwillingness to consider any other view point

I've only been on the forum for a short while but I have to say I love all the information that is on here, and have spent hours and hours researching various things and completely changed my views on certain tools I do/don't need.

I'm shortly (a massive list of other jobs permitting!) about to start on my first project and have been really inspired by the beautiful workmanship I've seen here. I will post some WIP if I dare...

I have not been around long enough to understand the issues being raised here, but I think you are all a great bunch of people and encourage you all to continue posting and do your best to ignore anything you find upsetting for the greater good.

Best wishes to everyone!

softtop":3dbia309 said:
I've only been on the forum for a short while but I have to say I love all the information that is on here, and have spent hours and hours researching various things and completely changed my views on certain tools I do/don't need.

I'm shortly (a massive list of other jobs permitting!) about to start on my first project and have been really inspired by the beautiful workmanship I've seen here. I will post some WIP if I dare...

I have not been around long enough to understand the issues being raised here, but I think you are all a great bunch of people and encourage you all to continue posting and do your best to ignore anything you find upsetting for the greater good.

Best wishes to everyone!

Group hug, Group Hug!!!

Get away! Come near me any of yous, I'll stab you with me pencil (tucked behind my ear). :lol: :lol:

Dibs-h":zft95uc0 said:
softtop":zft95uc0 said:

Best wishes to everyone!

Group hug, Group Hug!!!

grouphugg.gif

IMHO (see I remembered. :lol: ) even the best families have their squabbles occasionally.

We're all only human and friction is a part of life. As long as we can rub along together, without holding too many grudges, we should be Ok.

I think the main problem is that internet forums are still a relatively new phenominum, and appropriate etiquete is still evolving.

When I first joined this forum three or four years ago I approached it in the same way as I would if I was with my mates in the pub - joking, water taking, and winding people up.

It was inappropriate, I upset a few people, and I was banned.

I have learned that forums are different to saloon bars or construction sites, and require a code of conduct that is very nuanced; a post that will amuse some members will offend others - and it is very easy for one's jocular intentions to be completely lost when expressed in type.

One thing that puzzles me however, is the over-sensitivity of some people. How does a bloke make it to middle age without aquiring the skin of a rhino along the way? Surely if one reads a post which one finds offensive the correct courses of action are either to challenge it robustly or to ignore it.

To throw ones toys out of the pram and announce dramatically one's exit strikes me as bit pathetic.

BradNaylor":35svofva said:
One thing that puzzles me however, is the over-sensitivity of some people. How does a bloke make it to middle age without aquiring the skin of a rhino along the way?

Billynomates or stillsingle?

[Disclaimer: the above is a poor attempt at humour and represents an opinion and has no bearing on any person living or deceased.]

The other thing that amazes me on forums is the way people are offended on someone elses behalf :shock:

I have had the situation where I have known someone very, very well, so well I knew I could take the p!55 a bit, and not cause offence, and someone else took offence at the way I posted and really layed into me, I had to explain that we were old friends and I was just having a laugh and no way would it have offended the person it was aimed at.

kasandrich":14u6485h said:
The other thing that amazes me on forums is the way people are offended on someone elses behalf :shock:

I have had the situation where I have known someone very, very well, so well I knew I could take the p!55 a bit, and not cause offence, and someone else took offence at the way I posted and really layed into me, I had to explain that we were old friends and I was just having a laugh and no way would it have offended the person it was aimed at.

know what you mean - i remember on another music forum i used to go on i once told the joke about the redneck who wasnt a racist - the punch line being that "some of his best freinds were N........" There were loads of black guys on that site and none of them took offence as it is clear from the joke that it isnt validating the use of the N word to describe them, but poking fun at redneck attitudes

however we had one girl who was both white and middle class who decided to take offence on their behalf and the ammount of ensuing fuss made our irish joke thread here look like a storm in teacup - eventually she threw her teddies out of her cot and quit - and was not missed by many

Back