Forstner Bits - Which would you recommend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
I've decided my Screwfix 8 quid set are now blunt and of pretty bad quality. I could learn how to sharpen them, but I need some more sizes, and I think I will move on to a more permanent set.

Anyone one any experience of these Record Power ones?:

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/16 ... f-D82i0OHs

They are the saw tooth type, which apparently might be a good thing. Only trouble with them is that they are imperial rather than metric.

I was going to just buy a set of Fisch waves for 100 euro (6 in the set), but was looking for alternatives...

Cheers

Festool Zobo. Without doubt the finest hole makers I have ever owned. I was bought a set for my birthday, nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price but they produce shavings that are almost translucent, cut with an accuracy that has to be seen to be believed and can, using the removable tapered centre pin, cut at an angle or, using the drill bit to make a pilot hole, cut from both sides with absolute precision. Have a look on YouTube.

I have the Fisch wave forstners as well as their augers and they are superb.....but the Zobo’s are truly in a different class. You can resharpen them too.

If you use Amazon there is a set in their Warehouse section for £100ish. Buy, try and if you don’t like them return for a full refund.

Swiss Made, and absolutely worth every penny.

I have a boxed set of cheap bits to bail me out at odd times, but also a handful of bought for the job bits. These are Clico, Trend and Fisch. As mentioned above Wealden are also very good. I would go with whichever of these has the size/s you want at the best price.

Colin

I have a set from Screwfix that work well enough if you take a file to them now and again. These are just for general use. I also have some Fisch ones in the sizes i use most and can't fault them for a clean cut. Never thought to look to Wealden for them as i usually go straight to the router cutter page, but will give them a go next time i need any. If they are as good as the router bits, then they will indeed be worth the money.

I've just bought some standard Axminster ones, having tried them at 22mm in Buffalo board (melamine-faced and impregnated, so very tough on cutters of all sorts). They are roughly 10-20 quid each, depending on size. I am slowly replacing the originals in a cheap set, on the basis that the ones I wear out are the ones I need.

The smaller one (12mm) is a different pattern to the larger ones, which is very sensible, as in my cheap set they are all the same, just scaled down, and the smaller ones clog terribly.

I resharpen the larger ones in the cheap set (20mm upwards) with some success, to the extent that I check and fettle them before use if they need it. The key thing seems to be getting the rim to cut/score really well, like a lip and spur bit I guess, and I can do that with my Proxxon mini drill. I bought a diamond disc for it years ago, and that is ideal.

That all said, if you can get that Festool set for 100 quid, I'd go for it. I bought a Colt set of wood drills when Axminster sold off their stock (when they dropped the brand), and they were a brilliant deal. I couldn't possibly justify buying them at normal prices, but they are sooo good...

E

The Record Power set seems to be imperial, by the way. Is that what you want? Axminster only have a few specific imperial cutters in their standard range, and most sets I have seen here are metric.

The ”Wealdon” Forstner bits are Trend Snappy bits so shop around as prices vary.

I have a couple of them and they are excellent but the ability to replace the centre point and drill bit on the Zobo’s really does make a difference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYY5GJTdyDA

I have both Wealdon and Trend Forstner bits and the difference between them is night and day, so I can't think they are the same, the Wealdon is so much better.

Mike

skipdiver":1jv6barz said:
I have a set from Screwfix that work well enough if you take a file to them now and again. These are just for general use. I also have some Fisch ones in the sizes i use most and can't fault them for a clean cut. Never thought to look to Wealden for them as i usually go straight to the router cutter page, but will give them a go next time i need any. If they are as good as the router bits, then they will indeed be worth the money.
I have the screwfix ones. The 35mm was blunt out of the box! Like you say you need to be able to sharpen them...

Some interesting recommendations here - thanks everyone. I think it is either the Wealdens or the Bosch Professionals that have the same 'wave' outside cutting edge as the Ficsh bits.

Those TCT ones are cheap... diamond file to sharpen them I suppose?

To answer the question about the imperial record power bits - no I'd prefer to have metric. If they were metric I'd have taken a punt on them by now as they have the saw tooth edge that should make it through hardwood and there is a wide selection.

i have some from screwfix, i got the set with the auger and bradpoint bits, they're ok for the stuff i need them for,

dynax":1wfbdzr5 said:
i have some from screwfix, i got the set with the auger and bradpoint bits, they're ok for the stuff i need them for,

That's the set i have. They are pretty good for the money i think, especially if you fettle them with a file. I am however building up a set of better ones in the more used sizes. I bought a 12mm Fisch bradpoint and was impressed enough to try the Forstner bits from them and they cut very cleanly, just as the bradpoint does.

when i got mine only a couple of months ago, i went to screwfix looked in the catalogue the price had gone up, thought to myself i can't justify spending nearly £40 on them, so goes back home ( only a few mins away by car), goes online still showing original price of around £25, so buys online as click & collect expecting to be an error and price going up, no bought and paid for at £25, went back to store to collect,

just had a quick look, they have gone up to £35 now,

Latest posts

Back