Forest products research special report no. 14

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corneel

Established Member
Reaction score
On Jeff Gorman's site http://www.amgron.clara.net/sciencereport16.html you can read a bit about forces on plane irons, quoting a scientific article from Forest Products Research. Jeff's webpage makes me very curious to the rest of the article, but it seems not to be available online, probably never been scanned yet. If I would live in London, I would hop over to the Britisch Library where they have a paper copy. But I live across the Nordsea, so that is a bit involved.

Does anybody know another way to have a peek at it?
The complete title etc.

Forest Products Research Special Report No. 14
'Experiments in Rectilinear Cutting' (Part 1), HMSO , London 1960, KJS Walker and R Goodchild

Hi Frank, that's awesome!

I just wrestled for over an hour with the Library website and it seems I can order a digital copy too. Not exactly cheap, but I think I'll give it a try. I'll send you a message if it works.

This is an area where assertion and narrow anecdote is more common than controlled experiment, so I would welcome any information from this source.

BugBear

But it is always difficult to translate lab results to the real world.

Anyway, I ordered a digital copy, should arrive next week. Frank, thanks a lot, but if this works out, I won't need your generous offer.

Corneel":qj508dun said:

Indeed. Some things are harder than one would like.

But unless one has access to an effectively infinite number of "real world" tests (every combination of tool selection, tool setup, workpiece, and mode of use), applying isolated factors measured in the lab is the best one has.

Most real world tests are so specific (including the factors I mention, but I'm sure there are others) that they're of little application to any circumstance other than the original.

BugBear

Corneel":214bnxj6 said:

Anyway, I ordered a digital copy, should arrive next week. Frank, thanks a lot, but if this works out, I won't need your generous offer.

How true. We can always hope that Kato and Kawai will open a board-planing service.

Back