For the computer literate...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

My mum is in Florida at the moment and asked me this question.

She is think of buying a laptop over there.

The spec is 80gb h/d, 15" display, 1024mb memory, cd / dvd etc.

Not sure what the processor is but its an intel.

Win Vista etc.

When i do the maths it works out at £250.00, is this a good deal and is it worth buying from the states as she will probably have no warranty for repairs etc.

What do you guys think.

Marky

If it was my mum I'd suggest it should be a Mac. The spec is not everything - convenience, useability, lack of virusses etc are worth a good deal.

cheers
Jacob

On many laptops the external powersupply will be a universal one so it can work on UK voltages - BUT you need to check this. They can be expensive if you had to replace it with a UK one.

There is also a danger of Duty + Vat on the way back in. Ofcourse if she makes good use of it during her holiday it won't be new any more...

What brand is it - atleast if its a known brand it might be easier to get minor repairs & accessories even if the warrantee is voided by the distance.

Bad luck that its got Vista on it though...sigh. (half joking - but only half).

Mr_Grimsdale":365403uk said:
If it was my mum I'd suggest it should be a Mac. The spec is not everything - convenience, useability, lack of virusses etc are worth a good deal.

cheers
Jacob

And a Mac will definitely be dual voltage.

dont start the mac windows war :lol:

£250 sounds a very good deal for that spec regardless of brand, speaking of which if it is branded ie. sony or HP then the warranty i believe is worldwide. can you get more info off her as to the make or is it some american company we have never heard of ?

you would be looking at £500 - £800 for that spec over here dependant on the rest of the spec.

suprasport":20y47d3k said:

We're not. But if I was buying a computer for someone who was, possibly, a newcomer to computers then there's no debate. For ease of use and freedom from viruses, the Mac wins hands down.

Roger Sinden":260g3n3h said:
suprasport":260g3n3h said:

We're not. But if I was buying a computer for someone who was, possibly, a newcomer to computers then there's no debate. For ease of use and freedom from viruses, the Mac wins hands down.

:lol:

I agree totally regarding the mac. I bought my dad a mac, and he's loved it, he struggled with years trying to get on with a PC

Not only that, you have to think about how much technical support is going to be required, vista has only been out 5mins and is undoubtly going to be full of bugs and errors and will need a lot of patching/updating intially.

MY mum still has a PC and i'm constantly going round there having to sort some problem out or the other, whereas my dad has had virtually no problems with the mac, the extra money is well worth the lack of hassle!

NickWelford":3cm331pf said:
+1 for a MAC laptop for a new non-PC-literate older user
AND for p****d off experienced PC-literate older (or younger) users :lol:

cheers
Jacob

Thanks for the replies.

She has just got the hang of PC's, worrying really as she spent years doing the company payroll for me on a PC.

I will try to find out the make, of course my real incentive is that if she doesnt like it, I will take it off her hands......

What else are Son's for...

Marky

My son gave me an iMac.

Is that a gloat?

I gave him an iMac, a Powerbook and many thousands of pounds. So I guess that's his gloat...

Don't worry about it - any Laptop these days is dual voltage. The key symbols / positions will be slightly different, but she can alter the 'results' of the keystrokes at any time she wishes.

For £250 - assuming it gets in w/io ant duty or VAT; it's a steal with those specs. My U.S. built Toshiba is a fantastic and much better value than current U.K. models.

Impossible to say whether or not £250 represents good value, though 'puters are generally cheaper stateside.

Things like the quality of keyboard and screen will make the difference between a laptop that gets used and one that doesn't. £250 wasted is £250 wasted. Vista is worth avoiding for 12 months, possibly longer.

Compare and contrast with a MacBook. If she still wants the PC it's probably not a bad little machine.

Just a thought, since no-one's mentioned it. Is having a US keyboard an issue with a laptop bought stateside?

Dave

Dave S":1nsf4y7g said:
Just a thought, since no-one's mentioned it. Is having a US keyboard an issue with a laptop bought stateside?

Dave

I think that if you've got a Mac you've got one - certainly the @ and " keys are in different places.

The kbd is hardly an issue,

you can also rempa the kbd if you really want to but you get quickly used to it. I worked on US kbd in non US country - now I work on UK. No real big deal actually. A colleague of mine works of a German kbd in UK and ditto - you just adjust out of habit.

Dave S":3k32t78f said:
Yes - it can't spell colour, flavour, rebate, etc... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Being no help whatsoever.

No issue with the Keyboards. Alt + Shift switches them between U.K. and U.S. inout - although some of the keys will be in a different position. You may have to teach it some different spelling as Alf mentions :wink:

Back