For Sale: AXMINSTER AWHBS250N bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm moving soon so I need to move on my larger pieces of machinery as I won't have a large enough workshop to use it.

It costs £159 new. (I paid £189)

I've used mine very little and is in virtually brand new condition. Its all fully tuned and setup and comes with two blades.

I'll be happy to accept £110 - buyer to collect as I don't have suitable packaging to sell it.

Here's a link to the full specs:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod804528/

HI Byron,

I'm considering buying exact same bandsaw. I can't buy yours as I'm hundreds of miles away, and I'm posting this from my hospital bed :(

Just wondered if I could ask you a couple of questions though.

I was wondering how accurate the small axminster bandsaw was for ripping. Would the wood always be needing heavy planing or did you manage to set it up accurate enough for a quick paas with a hand plane?

I was also wondering about cutting timbder of say 4x2, 3x2, how well did the bandsaw handle it, power wise, stalling etc...

I see you mentioned two blades, did you manage to find one that worked really well for this particular BS?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking of purchasing the same one at the end of next week. I cant use a table saw in my circumstances so a bandsaw is the only option available to me, and I'm very new to woodwork.

Thanks.

John36":2a9tufiq said:
HI Byron,

I'm considering buying exact same bandsaw. I can't buy yours as I'm hundreds of miles away, and I'm posting this from my hospital bed :(

Just wondered if I could ask you a couple of questions though.

I was wondering how accurate the small axminster bandsaw was for ripping. Would the wood always be needing heavy planing or did you manage to set it up accurate enough for a quick paas with a hand plane?

I was also wondering about cutting timbder of say 4x2, 3x2, how well did the bandsaw handle it, power wise, stalling etc...

I see you mentioned two blades, did you manage to find one that worked really well for this particular BS?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking of purchasing the same one at the end of next week. I cant use a table saw in my circumstances so a bandsaw is the only option available to me, and I'm very new to woodwork.

Thanks.

Hi John,

Once setup it's quite accurate. You'll never get a perfect finish when ripping as the blade you use for ripping will be a low TPI which naturally leaves a fairly course finish. However, I don't own a planer, and hand-plane all the pieces that come from the bandsaw, and it leaves a finish that is very quick to plane smooth.

I've cut 3" material without any major issues, 4" will cut, but you'll need to feed it a bit slower.

Personally, if you were going to be doing a lot of ripping I would get the next machine up. This one is great for small work (as long as you make sure it's been set to the correct speed - mine came set to the low speed and caused some initial confusion).

As for blades. I've used the axcalibur ones from axminster and they are decent, but not as good as the ones from Ian at tuffsaws. I tried the ones from workshop heaven but wasn't impressed and wouldn't use them again.

HTH

Back