FOR SALE - 10" Planer/Thicknesser - benchtop or floor-s

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraemeD

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently rebuilt an old Wadkin planer, my faithful Elektra Beckum HC260 Planer-Thicknesser is up for grabs. It is an original German built machine which is really solid and well made.....way better than the Chinese clones which seem to be based on its design. It has a 3HP motor and zips through oak at its full 10" cutting width with ease.

IMG_0300r.JPG

However what really makes this unusual is that the motor is attached to the side, rather than slung underneath, and is removable via a quick release fixing. This arrangement does have a couple of advantages which could be really significant for some. It means that the machine is semi-portable (easily movable by one person when the motor is removed), and best of all can be used on a bench top.

IMG_0294r.JPG

IMG_0292r.JPG

I used it with a simple stand, which is literally just a box to allow for floor-standing; but as you can see from the pics, it works just as well on a bench. This can therefore be a really solid and capable bench-mounting P/T, which could be lifted onto the bench when needed, and put away in between times if space is limited. Usually, bench mounting P/Ts are much smaller with less capacity, and not rated for heavy duty use like this one.

IMG_0295r.JPG

Comes with the full extraction kit as shown, a pair of reasonably sharp HSS knives, and a spare drive belt. Looking for £275 ono, collection from Herts/Cambs border. Please PM me if interested....I have lots more photos I can email out. I also have a matching mortising table attachment available separately if required.

All the best
Graeme

Hi Pete,

The fence isn't too bad.....it's an aluminium extrusion mounted on a steel swivel (I can't think of a better description!). Best pic I could find in y collection is this...

IMG_0302z.JPG

Once clamped it is actually good and solid.....though the movement when you're adjusting it isn't the slickest!

Cheers
Graeme

Thanks for the offer of help with transport, but it's going to be joining me in my garage/part-time workshop in Birmingham :)

I'd like to thank Graeme for his hospitality and tuition when I picked up the machine yesterday. He was a real pleasure to deal with.

Although buying the machine is yet another example of "eyes are bigger than the belly" - it's quite a bit larger than I really have room for, so I'm going to have to chuck *something* that I currently have stored at the back of the garage (two dozen mostly-empty tins of paint from when the house was decorated seem like the most suitable candidates, but the detritus from other hobbies may also have to go). And I must search out some lock-down castors, because there's no may I'm lifting this thing onto the bench and off again each time that I want to use it (otherwise I foresee popped discs or a hernia).

I've just used it to re-thickness my bench slats (they were just a bit too thick for the bench end supports, even after I'd ground the cast iron slots a little bigger than they were originally - another example of my being greedy, I think). I only took of about a mil, but I was impressed with the finish. It was better than I got at the local timber yard, with no tear-out (probably because I have the patience to do it in two or three passes, rather than just one). And yes, I know the code - "pictures or it didn't happen". I'll put before & after pics up just as soon as the bench is finished, although I'm currently waiting on two bolts that were out of stock at the supplier, and as it's a bank holiday I can't run out and buy alternatives until Tuesday.

Of course, I now want to get the most out of the P/T, and with the stuff I've been making that probably means buying a bandsaw in the not too distant future. At which point I really will be stuffed for garage space.

Latest posts

Back