"Fondle" Bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
So named by Mrs scrums.......these small bowls are placed at strategic points on the table at craft fairs, to catch the unsuspecting passerby with only a vague interest in wood. The idea being that they fondle them, pick them up and see the remarkably value for money price on the base. Sometimes it works ! We often sell 4 or 5 over a weekend - that's £9-£12 each, enough to cover the table rent, petrol and perhaps a pint of Black Sheep.

They're roughly 4" diameter x 2" high. You need to be able to knock out about 3 an hour if possible.

Fondles.jpg

Back left: Maple, Back right Flowering Cherry, the rest you'll recognise.

Top idea Chris, just the job for a load of off-cuts I am sorting out today.

My mates loss he would normally get these small pieces for his wood stove. :wink:

I had a few a bit like that that sold as nut bowls. As said they seemed really popular especially if amongst more expensive pieces. Your variety of woods looks really good as well.

Pete

Scrums":36fg69uv said:
Back left: Maple, Back right Flowering Cherry, the rest you'll recognise.

Please don't shout I'm new, but what are the other ones!? :oops:

I love the 2 on the left and one on far right (all the same by the look of it), thats why I ask!

Many thanks, Rob.

Hi Rob and welcome :D

The other 2 orangey ones with the contrasting white sapwood are Yew.

Chris

....you did right to ask - we don't bite !

These are very nice indeed - when I do craft fairs I do similar small bowls, and almost without exception the ones picked up to fondle are the ones made of American Black Walnut, obviously must look the most tactile.

PeteII

Latest posts

Back