Fluting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all
i would like to do some fluting on a project i am currently doing, firstly, could someone please tell me how to measure around the column in order to get the correct amount of flutes, and then what tool do you use to do them.
Thank you
steve

Steve, one way to measure around a cylinder is to use a strip of paper. Mark where they cross, then lay out flat and mark where you want the flutes to be. I suspect that most flutes on turned legs are divisors of 24 which is the normal points on a indexing ring. Flutes can be created using a router and box jig on a lathe in conjunction with an indexer. I'm sure that there will be members who will be along shortly with a hand tool solution.

Shultzy":2nxqcnq1 said:
. I'm sure that there will be members who will be along shortly with a hand tool solution.

Or JFC with his Legacy :D

Seriously, do you need a lathe to mount the work? Couldn't it also be clamped on a bench top between dogs?

Don't have any pictures but I made a box to hold one of several legs to flute.
Bolts where inserted at each end of the legs, then place the leg into the box(after marking your fluting points). The ends of the box had a'U' cut into them to accommodate the bolts, you then lock into position with a couple of nuts.
The router is then run on parallel rails which keep it centred on the top of the box.
Loosen the nuts, turn to the next fluting point and rout.
Hope that's clear, bit early in the morning :)

Dom

Dom did a good job explaining but if you need pics, here is a link to a Fine Woodworking article on shaping columns with a router - the same principles apply for fluting.

Cheers

Tim

thanks guys, i have a lathe but this is on some miniature stuff i am doing, but with the idea's given i will make a jig to do this.
Once again, cheers
steve

Latest posts

Back